2-Row pale malt in a Kölsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
Just got back from the LHBS, gonna brew up a kölsch today. The shop didn't have the pilsner malt that my recipe calls for, so I picked up 2-row pale malt instead. Any thoughts on how this could affect the end product? Here's the recipe as it is now:

9.5 lbs. 2-Row pale ale malt
0.5 lbs. Wheat (I might try the wheat that I malted myself here)
.75 oz. n. brewer hops (60 min.)
.25 oz. n. brewer hops (30 min.)
WLP 029 German ale / kölsch yeast

Aside from the slightly darker color from the pale malt, I'm not sure quite what to expect. Any thoughts? Should I go back and get another yeast and maybe some more hops to make it into a simple pale ale?

recently i did a kolsch subing the pilsner for 2-row. came out fantastic in fact i'm having a glass right now

7.75 Pilsner
1.00 Wheat
0.25 HoneyMalt
1.0 Hallertauer Tradition 6.4%AA Whole 60 min.
0.2 Saaz 3.8%AA Whole 15 min.
0.2 Saaz 3.8%AA Whole 5 min.

Nah, your Kölsch will be fine. Pilsner malt tends to be a touch lighter and perhaps just slightly less modified than 2-row. 2-row is a fine substitution, though.

So many homebrewers use a pale malt over pils because of availability in these recipes and they come out great. Not sure what your intent is with the 30 minute hop addition but looks like a good recipe. If your shop has it try out the fermentis dry german ale yeast. I keep a kolsch on tap for the wife and now use that because of cost, but it's a great dry yeast.

I loves my Kolsch.

I use hallertau, saaz and spalt, including a 1 minute/flameout addition.

If this turns out good, I'd suggest trying the Wyeast Kolsch 2565 next time. I've seen more people give that strain the thumbs-up vs. White Labs. I've not tried the WPL version myself because I washed the 2565 and have been using it up ever since.

Great. I'm a bit relieved. Just got it in the fermenter (a conical I got for Christmas). Brett, the 30 min. hop addition was simply because the recipe I found called for it. I haven't tried making my own recipes as of yet.

Back