2 quick questions on my Cascades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
I have a Cascade in the ground, this will be it's second year of growth. Last year, (its first year), I got about an ounce of cones from it, it was about 14' tall. This spring is has already grown about 5 feet tall and I counted 4-5 major vines growing from the base. Problem is, I need to move it due to some construction or it will get trampled. I also have 2 other new Cascade plants in pots to join it. I want to put them in a permanent garden area where it will get a lot of sun, and I will have a 20' wire for them to grow up on.
This area is 6-8' away from some ornamental bushes. Should I be worried about the roots growing too far across the garden? Does this call for a buried 'barrier', perhaps planting them in a few large plastic 1/2 barrels?

On my existing plant that needs to be moved, should I trim back a couple of the vines, and replant it with just a couple of the strongest vines?

Don't delay, move it as soon as possible if you have any hope for hops this season.
they're pretty sturdy plants, but they pretty much stop growing "up" after the summer solstice.
6-8 feet should be plenty of space (8 better than 6) between the hops and the ornamentals. the ground is always better than a container. ;)

I don't think you will need an in ground barrier. But I would move them right now if you need to and dig deep and keep the soil loose to give the rhizome plenty of reason to grow down and not out. Agreed 6-8' is best AND you want to make sure they have plenty of room to go up. 20' is crazy, they will be happy.

M

Thanks for the replies. Is there any need to prune the established plant I am moving, of the 2 that are in pots, so that they have 2-3 main vines and not 4-5?

Back