Quantcast

2 questions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

clemson55

Reaction score
Just bottled today and I only had about 4.25 gal when all was said and done. Part of this was probably because I had a really long stuck fermentation and probably ended up taking about 8 samples I'm sure those add up. I also think I was a little low when topping it off (right at 5 instead of a little over). I also think I might be leaving to much behind when racking.

Question 1. How much do you leave behind when racking primary to secondary and secondary to bottling bucket. I had about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch after racking to the bucket tonight.

Question 2. What do you do when your bottling and you end up with just a little left not enough for a full bottle. Like a 1/2 bottles worth. I just went ahead and bottled it but I wonder if all the air space will cause issues with carbing properly.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
the amount you left behind on racking sounds right.
i just drink the last part bottle -not worth trying to carb it in my opinion.

Poindexter

Reaction score
1. When racking I take everything I can get. From pri to sec I'll take a little junk cause it will settle out. From sec to bot I want it clean.

2. Drink it, it is a Gambrinus bonus for the brewer. That half bottle will probably never carb right. Put all your bottles at 70°F for three weeks. Save the half bottle for last. So once the batch is carbed up , drink all the full bottles, and then last of the batch try that half one. I think you will find the half bottle at the end is a gift from King Gambrinus to the brewer on bottling day.

Other ACC guy