2 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeyer

Reaction score
Hi I'm new and I have a couple of questions/concerns.
Water in my blow off tube was backing up on the second day of fermentation, no water got into the carboy, however I did remove tube from stopper to allow water to return to 1 gallon jug. Am I at risk of contamination? Also, I have no activity in airlock (blow off tube).
Temp of room 66-68, Started Ferm. Friday at 4pm German wheat

Thanks, Don

1) Don't worry about contamination with that small a time of exposure. There's a layer of C02 on top of the brew that protects it.

2) Airlock activity isn't an indication of fermentation-give it a good 3-4 days for fermentation to start showing signs before you consider re-pitching. What was the temp of the wort when you pitched the yeast and how long ago was that?

That seems a bit warm. I brewed two batches on Friday night, one is going and the other isn't showing signs yet.

I love this hobby, the time and the waiting....suspenseful!

First off, you should be fine. Contrary to popular belief it is fairly hard to contaminate beer. As long as you were careful and diligent in your sanitation to that point you will be fine.

Second, airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. The only way to know that fermentation happened and that you are done is with your hydrometer. Give the beer at least 1 week, but I recommend minimum 2 weeks then check to see where you are.

Finally, 80* is a bit warm but you shouldn't have a problem there. Just try to wait a little longer before pitching.

Latest posts

Back