2 Questions Bottle Conditioning/Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey all...Here are 2 questions that I have:

1- Since I'm only doing 1-gallon batches, when I use the online bottle priming calculator, should I make sure that I'm also accounting for the amount of yeast cake/trub/etc. that I'm leaving in my carboy? For example, instead of putting "total volume" as 1.0 gallons. Maybe I should be putting 0.8 gallons, etc? Because 1 gallon is such a small amount, being off a tenth of an ounce or so could actually make a large difference. Thoughts?

2- If you carbed your beers for the 3 week period, then put them in the fridge for a few days and found they were way overcarbed, can you simply take them back out of the fridge and allow them to settle at 70 degrees for another week or 2 without skunking your beer? Will doing this help? Or, once a bottle is overcarbed, it simply never goes away?

Thank you!

1) Yes, you should try to be as accurate as possible on the amount of beer you are actually carbing, not the amount that your fermenter holds.

2) Once CO2 is created, it doesn't go away unless it's allowed to escape. You may need to vent/burp your bottle(s) - this is easier said that done depending on the type of bottles and caps you are using.

You can always open a beer and set it in the fridge with the cap loose for an hour to flatten it some.

Back