2 questions b4 i begin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
so i was tossing and turning between an IPA or a Pumpkin Ale. So after much thought I have decided to go with the Pumpkin Ale and put the Stout on hold till next time. Here are my two questions:

1. I am looking to achieve the absolute highest ABV level without sacraficing the "pumpkin" flavor of the brew. any suggestions? Recipe is by Cheesefood

It's The Great Pumpkinweizen

.5lbs of Caramel 10L (20 minute steep @ 150)
1.81 lbs canned 100% pumpkin (in grain bag with grains for 20 minutes)

(2) 3.3lb cans of Munton's Wheat LME
1oz Hallertau (60 minutes)
.5oz Tettnanger (20 minutes)
1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
1 tbsp pumpkin spice (15 minutes)
.5oz Hallertau (5 minutes)

1 tbsp pumpkin spice seasoning in primary
Wyeast Special London (#1968)

[EDIT]

Wow, what a lot of lost wort. I ran the wort through a strainer, little by little, to get the hops and pumpkin out. I think I lost about 10-25% of my wort in the filtered out trub. Still, I'd rather have a lower yield than a lot of bad tasting beer.

What remained has a lovely pumpkin orange color that I think will add a fantastic hue and flavor. It's going to take a little while before it'll be ready to serve, but I think it will be well worth the wait. I have two batches ahead of this one to get through, plus a bottled batch that I'm not sure will ever turn out good.

2. Right after i turned 21 i went to this Hole-in-the-wall joint that brewed their own stuff. The server reccemended the Grand Cru. All i remember is that it had an ABV of something close to 14% and tasted fantastic.....However i cant remember for the life of me what it tastes like or whats in it....anyone have knowledge on this brew?

I have an extract version of a Grand Cru in my recipes. It's nowhere near 14%, but it's pretty tasty stuff. It's one that I try to always have around, but I've since converted the recipe to all grain.

Back