2 pump-related questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1) Do the Chugger pumps come pre-lubricated? Their manual mentions an annual oiling of a few drops of oil. Just wondering if it comes pre-oiled?

2) Do I need hose clamps for the silicone tubing I am using on connections to a pump? They are fitting over elbow barbs. I don't want wort spraying everywhere in the middle of a brew day. Just wondering if the barbs will hold the silicone tubing on or if I need clamps. If so, are there special clamps for silicone tubing?

- Any brand new motor should come factory-lubricated.
- Somewhat depends on the fittings and tubing whether a tubing clamp would be good insurance against an "exciting event" :)
Worm clamps are fine as long as you don't go nuts tightening them...

Cheers!

Clamp the outlet hoses on the pump. Once you start throttling the output (closing a valve to slow the transfer) the pressure could pop the hoses right off the fittings if not clamped on.

On mine, all hoses are clamped regardless. The last thing I want on a brew day is boiling hot wort spewing from a hose all over the place and making a gigantic sticky mess.

I oil my chuggers yearly (per manufacturer). As for my hoses, they all have worm clamps on the barbs of my Quick Disconnects....

Back