2 pot full boil bittering hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
i've been doing full boils using 2 four gallon pots on the stove and the biggest problem I run into (other than it being a bit of a pain, in general) is that I can only get a vigorous boil with one of the pots....the other won't boil vigorously till it gets down to 2.75 gallons or so.

my concern is reduced hop bittering utilization due to the wimpy boil in the one pot. my proposed solution is to boil my all of my bittering hops in the "good" pot and put no 60 minute hops in the poor boiler. both pots will have the same gravity wort in them and i plan to add flavor/aroma hops to both (though some bittering will come from the flavor hops, the pots usually starting to boil pretty well by then). are there any inherent problems in this approach?

thx.

Put your first runnings in the 'bad' pot. That will reduce the gravity of the wort in the bittering pot and improve utilization.

thanks. i may do just that. i can finagle the volume/sg numbers in beersmith to see where my ibu's will end up.

Back