2 o rings on the dip tubes???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all, switched over my pin locks to ball locks.. had to add a 2nd o ring to the dip tubes. have you ever had to do that??? wondering what I have wrong????

thanks in advance.

Baloo

Am I right in understanding you have converted pin lock kegs with ball lock style posts?
If that's true can you provide a link to the posts you used?

I have 16 five gallon ball lock kegs along with two shorties that service my keezer glass rinser system.
None of them use more than a single standard dip tube O-ring on either tube. But they're all oem ball lock kegs...

Cheers!

Hi all, switched over my pin locks to ball locks.. had to add a 2nd o ring to the dip tubes. have you ever had to do that??? wondering what I have wrong????

I'm not really familiar with pin to ball lock conversions, but I have some imported ball lock kegs that need two dip tube O-rings in order to seal properly. I mark those kegs with a "x2" near those posts and don't worry a bit.

@day_trippr MoreBeer has the conversion fittings to do the job. Looks like $15 per keg for those. You'll need poppets and probably o-rings. I have plenty of those on hand (bought years back) for other projects. ;) I'm sure people have a certain amount of spares on hand... Right?? ;) If not, just get them and be done with it.

Corrected user target...

^ I don't have any kegs to convert. Perhaps you meant @MrBaloo.

ETA: Ninja'd. But I don't think @day_trippr is the one that needs the info either.

thanks in advance.

Baloo

I ran into the same issue with the three kegs I've converted so far with kits from different sources (LHBS and Amazon). I suspect that they are all sourced from the same manufacturer and that the interior dimensions are slightly off. I devised a different workaround, but will be using two o-rings on the diptubes when I take them apart again.

You did indeed post a link to your conversion posts, and I apologize for not pursuing that further.

So I just took a scan of the 4-star and below buyer posts and found many more than a few that imply the need to double those dip tube O-rings due to the threading being "cut too deep" (which I will assume means vertically up into the post).

I would not want to rely on such a work-around and would seek a refund and an alternative solution...

Cheers!

Thank you extended return window... glad I was able to help some others with my question, also glad I am not loosing it... course.. that is probably not definitive....

There are two types of pin lock kegs, Spartanburg and Cornelius.
They can easily be identified at a glance.
The Spartanburg kegs have a full complete circle on the rubber on the top of the keg.
The Cornelius kegs the rubber has a notch at each post.

Back