2 Lager starters 1 stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundForBeer

Reaction score
I want to make 2 lagers same brew day (figured if I am going to lager one why not do 2 since I have the room). So here is my thoughts I have 2 ml flask and one stir plate. Is it feasible to start one let it run for 24 throw in the fridge start the next one. Next decant the first one and throw the 2nd in the fridge. Does this sound like the right approach to this? Also how long should I give myself to step each starter up ( I know depends on the size needed) but what are your thoughts. I week enough time to get both done?

If the yeast are healthy and ready to rock......I would say a week (7 days) should be enough time even if you have to do 2 steps each. My yeast usually take less than 24 hours to ferm out a starter on a stir plate. However, I usually give them a full 24 on each step (if I do two steps).

So, assuming healthy yeast, if you make the first starter on say Monday you should be able to brew on Saturday. (Mon - pitch 1st stater) (Tue - step up 1st starter) (Wed - Put 1st starter in fridge and pitch 2nd starter) (Thur - step up 2nd starter) (Fri - put 2nd starter in fridge) (Sat - pull out both starters and let warm up to room temp, either decant or siphon off most of the yucky beer.....make your slurry and pitch.)

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back