2-day brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I've got to get two batches done here by may8th.. and I don't think my weekends will have the time. Since I get home at 6, not quite enough time to do an entire batch before bedtime, so i thought I could split the batch up over two nights

I'm thinking do the mash one night, then let the wort sit over night covered, then next night, boil, cool and pitch yeast. Any foreseeable problems?

Has anyone ever split up a batch like this?

What is your bedtime? I get home anywhere from 5:30-6. I do batches when I get home from work and I'm done by 11...mash, boil, chill, cleanup...The trick is to clean up as much as possible while you're boiling. Then when you are done you only really have to clean your chiller and kettle.

well yeh i could squeeze it in.. but with dinner added in, and me still not being very time efficient since i've only done a couple AG batches.. I really don't want to do this and end up being stuck finishing after midnight.

let's just stick to the question at hand.. are there any problems that could arise by splitting a batch?

Here are two links I found searching...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyone-have-good-luck-mashing-brewing-different-days-134120/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mash-night-boil-next-day-110506/index2.html

Both seem to indicate sourness is possible and that you should at least bring the wort up to a boil before letting it sit for a day. But, some people in those threads say their beer turned out ok. I've never done it, but I'd recommend against it. Unneeded time for things to get into your wort.

P.S....Eat dinner while it's mashing...as long as you plan ahead it's a very simple brewnight. When you think about it, there is about an hour and 45 minutes downtime while you are watching grain mash and water boil...Maybe after you get a few more brews in you'd feel comfortable with brewing after work. Just want you to know it's done fairly easily.

What is your bedtime? I get home anywhere from 5:30-6. I do batches when I get home from work and I'm done by 11...mash, boil, chill, cleanup...The trick is to clean up as much as possible while you're boiling. Then when you are done you only really have to clean your chiller and kettle.

Wow I wish I knew your secret. I am cleaning everything I can during the boil. It takes me 90 min to clean the kettle, chiller, pump, and hoses not to mention the odds and ends like starter flask, spoon, assorted buckets, etc.. Then break down the brew equip and get the cars back in the garage.
My brew sessions are a consistent 8 hours.

It's not generally recommended to let your wort sit long before boiling.

Just do some prep work and then clean up as you go. Measure out your water volumes ahead of time, portion off your hops additions, and collect all the equipment you'll need in one spot. Get yourself a spray bottle and sanitize with that. Heat your sparge water as you mash and start heating your mash wort as you sparge. At the very worst you'll be a little tired the next day if it runs long. I'd say that's well worth a successful weeknight brewday. If you could walk in the door as soon as you get home and start the fire for your mash water, surely you could be done in 4 hours or less!

Wow I wish I knew your secret. I am cleaning everything I can during the boil. It takes me 90 min to clean the kettle, chiller, pump, and hoses not to mention the odds and ends like starter flask, spoon, assorted buckets, etc.. Then break down the brew equip and get the cars back in the garage.
My brew sessions are a consistent 8 hours.

I do not have a pump since I use an immersion chiller. "assorted buckets"? How many buckets are you using? I use one bucket...brew on my patio, which connects to my kitchen. I guess I'm on the opposite side of the fence, I don't see how some people take 8 hours on a brew session...

Try this:

Get everything set up one night.

Do the mash, boil and pitch the next night.

Clean up the third night.

Repeat.

45 min for water heating and dough in, 1 hour for mash, 45 min for sparge, 1 hour for boil, 45 minutes for cool and pitch.

You should be in bed by 10:30.

:rockin:

Back