#2 cure in an equilibrium brine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolley

Reaction score
Done a lot of equilibrium brining with #1 cure and dry curing with #2 cure, what I can't seem to find is information on using #2 cure in a brine.

Do I just use 10.25% in my calculator (6.25% + 4% = 10,25%) to get PPM numbers?, are the PPM (parts per million) limits based on just the nitrites? or do you figure in the nitrates as well.

Anyone use #2 cure in their equilibrium brines?

Of course I've seen the statement about "don't use it in a brine" but can't find an explanation as to why not or what happens if you do, do the nitrates turn into nitrites before the equilibrium happens? if so, wouldn't you still be OK if you accounted for the total amount of nitrites in your final PPM calculations?

Some things I simply accept without asking why. It just is. Please be careful. Cheers!

This is a quote from USDA site:

"Wet Curing or Brine Cure

Brine curing is the most popular way to produce hams. It is a wet cure whereby fresh meat is injected with a curing solution before cooking. Brining ingredients can include ingredients such as salt, sugar, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, sodium erythorbate, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, water and flavorings. Smoke flavoring (liquid smoke) may also be injected with brine solution. Cooking may occur during this process."

Since it's listed under the "Wet Curing or Brine Cure" and it says it's OK to inject the meat with nitrite and nitrate, I assume that it's OK to brine with nitrite and nitrate. So every time I read "#2 cure can't be used in brine curing", I just scratch my head and move on. Of course this is meant to be cooked afterward.

I'm looking for someone who has done this, as the nitrates supposedly add a distinct flavor similar to the flavor you get from some dry cured products with "unconverted nitrates" still left in them.

Of course it would be nice if one could brine cure a country ham or something with the shelf life of a #2 dry cured product.

From http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/curing_meats.html

All my recipes use Prague Powder #1 which has only sodium nitrite, no sodium nitrate. Sodium nitrate is sometimes used on meats that age because it slowly breaks down into sodium nitrite over time so it remains active over months. But nitrates can also form nitrosamines, a compound that is a carcinogen in animals, but its effect on humans is still ill defined. Unless you are an expert, you should never substitute one curing salt for another.

Not a definitive answer, but it is at least a partial reason for, "why."

Yes, I've read that before, but the USDA says you can inject it, so unless the nitrosamines are only produced on the outer surface when the entire meat is submerged, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There's got to be somebody out there that has used some #2 cure in their brine. (equilibrium)

I've been using #2 cure for 30 years (mainly dried sausage and some dry hams), you would think I would have done it by now.

guess what time it is,

Yah, it's #2 brine time.

(as long as I use 10.25% as my cure% to keep my PPMs in check, I should be OK)

To each his own. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

guess what time it is,

Yah, it's #2 brine time.

(as long as I use 10.25% as my cure% to keep my PPMs in check, I should be OK)

I hope you don't plan on taking brine times that are similar to #1 duration. These are two different salts with different ways in which they work.

Back