2 corny kegs, what else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it. My wife's uncle gave me two corny kegs. What other equipment do I need to use the kegs for beer?

Regulator, CO2 tank, hose with picnic tap and someplace to keep it cold. I would also check out the 'o' rings on the keg, lid, posts and dip tubes, if they're no good, then pick up a set.

Gas line
Beer line
Gas Quick Disconnects that match your kegs
Beer Quick Disconnects that match your kegs
CO2 Tank and a Single Regulator (or a Dual Regulator, which will obviate the need for the next item)
1:2 manifold, preferably with shutoffs and integrated check valves
Some kind of faucet - could be a pair of picnic faucets to start
Some place to keep the kegs and lines cold.

Cheers!

Woops...I forgot about the disconnects and gas line and if you want both kegs hooked up at the same time, you'll need the manifold. Do you know if they are ball or pin lock?

About 18 more :)
yeah, the guy had a couple dozen, I just figured 2 was all I had room for in the fridge...

this forum's awesome. I go upstairs for 5 minutes and there's 4 replies :)

So here's a picture...

corny.jpg

Regulator, CO2 tank, hose with picnic tap and someplace to keep it cold. I would also check out the 'o' rings on the keg, lid, posts and dip tubes, if they're no good, then pick up a set.

Gas line
Beer line
Gas Quick Disconnects that match your kegs
Beer Quick Disconnects that match your kegs
CO2 Tank and a Single Regulator (or a Dual Regulator, which will obviate the need for the next item)
1:2 manifold, preferably with shutoffs and integrated check valves
Some kind of faucet - could be a pair of picnic faucets to start
Some place to keep the kegs and lines cold.

Cheers!

Woops...I forgot about the disconnects and gas line and if you want both kegs hooked up at the same time, you'll need the manifold. Do you know if they are ball or pin lock?

OK, so quick search, regulator ~$60, 2 way distributor ~ $30, 5lb CO2 tank ~$60, beer fridge (already have), maybe replace stuff on kegs... ~ $25 each, so around 200 will get me up and running with both kegs. Could skip the dist and get one up and running for ~145.. hmmmm

Or you can spend the $200 and get a duL keg starter kit and then have 4 kegs and everything you need to run two of them and have two for storage.

Or you can spend the $200 and get a duL keg starter kit and then have 4 kegs and everything you need to run two of them and have two for storage.

What do you mean, two for storage? Would you store beer in them? Can you ferment in them?

Wyrmwood said:
What do you mean, two for storage? Would you store beer in them? Can you ferment in them?

Yeah, you can secondary in them, to open up your primaries, so you can brew more.

You can naturally carb in a keg, with priming sugar while waiting for a tap to open. So you can just chill over night hook up the gas and serve.

With the proper shopping (if you're not in a dire hurry) you could piece together everything you need for far less than $200.

Using eBay, craigslist, and AHS (for the lines) I was able to put together...

3 kegs
3 perlick faucets and shanks
2 picnic taps
5 lb co2 tank
Dual body regulator
1-3 manifold (with gas stops)
Gas and liquid connectors
Gas and liquid hose

... for $190. I've got a 3 tap homemade armoire-erator almost finished. You already have the kegs. If you can afford to wait and look around, it'll pay off.

So I finally decided to go ahead with this. After a lot of searching, price comparing, etc, I have come to the conclusion that this ebay kit is probably the best deal for what I want. I could go picnic taps and save a bit, but the nice faucets are ~$60-80 with the drip tray, so for about $50 with this deal, I'm getting the complete rig with a decent regulator, 2 faucets and drip trays, and a bonus cleaning kit (yippee).

I do have another question though... how do I leave it so during the day my 2-5 year olds can't drink my beer or spill it all over the floor? I can put the taps out the side of the fridge, up on a counter top, but my son especially is a freaking houdini, so will probably grab something to climb on and pull these taps.

Would I purchase two separate shutoff valves for the beer lines? They sell tap locks but that seems a bit extreme...

Back