2 Batches Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teletrout

Reaction score
I recently brewed two batches, one was the cascades orange coriander recipie from this site and one was a extract IPA kit I received for x mas. A week a go I transfered bolth to secondaries for dry hopping. I transfered the orange/cascades first and then transfered the IPA immediatley following without cleaning the racking cane (auto-siphon). I left town for five days and returned today to find a thick white substance floating on top of the orange/cascades, with the white stuff growing down into the beer. The IPA looks like it is activly fermenting, but instead of yeast floating and swirling around, hop pellet particles are floating, and swirling around. And in the IPA the airlock is active. The beers had reached there expected fg when I transfered. Can I save these beers with capdem (sp?) or crash cooling and kegging or am I screwed and the pipline will be shut down? I have picks but my post count is to low. If someone is willing to post them for me PM me your Email and I will send them to you.

A friend of mine had a mild infection - it may have been much less of an issue compared with yours - and we simply skimmed off all the gloop and bottled it up. The beer turned out fine.

I would not give up on either of them, but I would take a hard look at my procedures after two of these in a row. You might think about putting all your gear into your fermenter and immersing it overnight in a mild bleach solution - say a quarter cup for the whole fermenter.

What yeast did you use? Was it the same for both? Take a look at the threads on Nottingham yeast in the yeast forum. You might have had some of the bad Notty - it was slow to start at best, and because of that, other stuff sometimes took hold in many folks' brews.

still cant post pics, my thread count is to low. I threw them in the fridge and hopefully I can salvage some drinkable beer. This is the first time that this has happened and Ive done nothing different in my cleaning and sanitation processs. Sorry about my grammer, my truck engin blew up today to. had to get drunk. Bad day.......

Back