2 bad batches of fro co cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highjumphero

Reaction score
I have been making cider for about a year now and have made 5 batches using apple juice and dry yeast without any problems. It always turned out fantastic! The last batch that i made with juice I back sweetened with 1 gal of juice and kegged for newyears was the hit of the party!
The last 2 batches of cider I have made from frozen concentrate and they both spoiled. After the first 2 weeks the cider would clear in the carboy, after that it would get cloudy. When I was transfering it to the keg I tryed a glass and it turned out horrible!

Anyone else had bad luck with frozen juice?
The only other thing i have changed is adding yeast neutriant to speed up the fermentation. I do not boil the water that i am using in the cider, that may be a problem, but i do not boil the top off water in my beer and it has always turned out fine.
My cousin made his first batch of cider from frozen concentrate and his tastes a little spoiled, not as bad. He used the same process as i did but used city water vs my well water.

Are there preservatives in the frozen concentrate?
Did you take SG readings to see if fermentation started?
Are your sanitation practices sound?
I've never boiled water I used in my ciders, wines, and meads. We have very good tasting well water.

The only additives to the juice are asorbic acid.
I did take my SG reading but did not get a FG because I dumped it halfway through racking. It is like fermentation starts and finnishes ( airlock bubbles like crazy, yeast flocculates, cider clears off), and after that it gets cloudy.
I wash everything after each use, and wash and starsan everything before use.
I am thinking that the opening of each cardboard tube and measuring of all the water adds too much exposure.

Your process seems sound.
I've not used concentrate for a cider. I do use it for backsweetening with no issues so far. (knock on wood). I guess if you are concerned you could dip the concentrate tubes in sanitizer before you open them.

The only step I could think to add would be 1 crushed campden tablet / gallon then wait 24 hrs to pitch your yeast.

I second the Campden if you're haven problems. It should eliminate any nasties that get in at the beginning.

Sounds good, I am currently making a batch from juice, maybe it is an issue with my equipment. One thing i did notice is that the juice is pastureized and the concentrate says nothing of pastuerization.

Back