2 AGs / 1 burner - how long will it take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know how to run things efficiently. One brew takes me 4-5 hours so if I'm doing two, should I just double that time? I guess I'd be better off heating my second mash water on the stove since I'll be boiling the first wort on my burner...

If you have use a chiller you could collect the hot water on its way out of the chiller into the mash tun while chilling the first boil to start with warmer sparge water for the second mash. If your mash tun isn't direct fired you could collect it in the tun, pour it in your HLT to heat it up to the desired temp and then go back to the mash tun.

Here is my plan so far but I'm stuck towards the end:

- Heat mash water for 1st brew
- Mash in 1st brew
- Heat sparge water while mashing 1st brew
- Sparge into kettle & heat mash water for 2nd brew
- Boil 1st brew & mash in 2nd brew
- ???

I'm not sure where to go from there. I could heat my 2nd sparge water on the stove but I can't runoff into the kettle because I'll be chilling the 1st brew and I can't run off into my 30qt because I'll be heating sparge water...

Without a 2nd burner, I don't see how you can pipeline the brews. I did 2 back-to-back in ~ 5.5 hrs, but I had 3 burners to work with. :D

Lil' Sparky said:
Without a 2nd burner, I don't see how you can pipeline the brews. I did 2 back-to-back in ~ 5.5 hrs, but I had 3 burners to work with. :D

I figured it out...

- Heat mash water for 1st brew
- Mash in 1st brew
- Heat sparge water while mashing 1st brew
- Sparge into kettle & heat mash water for 2nd brew
- Boil 1st brew & mash in 2nd brew
- Chill 1st brew & heat 2nd sparge water & runoff 2nd mash into BUCKET ;)
- Empty keggle into fermenter & pour in 2nd brew first runnings
- Sparge 2nd brew into kettle and the rest is history

I can get 2 brews done in 6-6.5 hours with one burner. As long as you mash your 2nd brew while you're boiling your first, and you have a few 5 gallon buckets around you'll be fine.

Two 10 gallon brews with one burner... now that gets interesting!

Yeah, delaying the 1st boil while you're heating the 2nd strike water will save you some time. Good thinking.

But I say this is a perfectly good "reason" to go pick up a 2nd burner. ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Yeah, delaying the 1st boil while you're heating the 2nd strike water will save you some time. Good thinking.

But I say this is a perfectly good "reason" to go pick up a 2nd burner. ;)

Yeah but then I'd have to get into splitting the propane and stuff. I don't plan on doing this again, I just need to get my St Paddy's brews done...

You'll need another kettle, too. I have a keggle and a 24qt. I'll run wort off into the keggle and I'll heat sparge water in the 24 qt. pot.

Then once I start running off of the 2nd sparge into the keggle I start heating my strike water for the 2nd batch.

I typically mash for 75 minutes, and even with that there's some overlap. Bringing wort to a boil, boiling for 60 min, then chilling and up taking 90 minutes or so.

I'm usually able to time it so that when I start draining my MLT into a bucket (batch #2), I can turn off the burner and set the keggle on the garage floor and hook up the IC (batch #1). This lets me use the 210k burner to heat sparge water for batch #2 instead of having to do it inside on the kitchen stove.

ohiobrewtus said:
You'll need another kettle, too. I have a keggle and a 24qt. I'll run wort off into the keggle and I'll heat sparge water in the 24 qt. pot.

Then once I start running off of the 2nd sparge into the keggle I start heating my strike water for the 2nd batch.

I typically mash for 75 minutes, and even with that there's some overlap. Bringing wort to a boil, boiling for 60 min, then chilling and up taking 90 minutes or so.

I'm usually able to time it so that when I start draining my MLT into a bucket, I can turn off the burner and set the keggle on the garage floor and hook up the IC. This lets me use the 210k burner to heat sparge water for batch #2 instead of having to do it inside on the kitchen stove.

I have the keggle, 30qt pot, and 6.5 gallon bucket. I should be good to go with them...

Back