Quantcast

2 AGs / 1 burner - how long will it take?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
I'm pretty sure I know how to run things efficiently. One brew takes me 4-5 hours so if I'm doing two, should I just double that time? I guess I'd be better off heating my second mash water on the stove since I'll be boiling the first wort on my burner...
 

hollowdp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
73
Reaction score
1
Location
Arlington, VA
If you have use a chiller you could collect the hot water on its way out of the chiller into the mash tun while chilling the first boil to start with warmer sparge water for the second mash. If your mash tun isn't direct fired you could collect it in the tun, pour it in your HLT to heat it up to the desired temp and then go back to the mash tun.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Here is my plan so far but I'm stuck towards the end:

- Heat mash water for 1st brew
- Mash in 1st brew
- Heat sparge water while mashing 1st brew
- Sparge into kettle & heat mash water for 2nd brew
- Boil 1st brew & mash in 2nd brew
- ???

I'm not sure where to go from there. I could heat my 2nd sparge water on the stove but I can't runoff into the kettle because I'll be chilling the 1st brew and I can't run off into my 30qt because I'll be heating sparge water...
 

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
3,952
Reaction score
91
Location
Honolulu, HI
Without a 2nd burner, I don't see how you can pipeline the brews. I did 2 back-to-back in ~ 5.5 hrs, but I had 3 burners to work with. :D
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Lil' Sparky said:
Without a 2nd burner, I don't see how you can pipeline the brews. I did 2 back-to-back in ~ 5.5 hrs, but I had 3 burners to work with. :D
I figured it out...

- Heat mash water for 1st brew
- Mash in 1st brew
- Heat sparge water while mashing 1st brew
- Sparge into kettle & heat mash water for 2nd brew
- Boil 1st brew & mash in 2nd brew
- Chill 1st brew & heat 2nd sparge water & runoff 2nd mash into BUCKET ;)
- Empty keggle into fermenter & pour in 2nd brew first runnings
- Sparge 2nd brew into kettle and the rest is history
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
I can get 2 brews done in 6-6.5 hours with one burner. As long as you mash your 2nd brew while you're boiling your first, and you have a few 5 gallon buckets around you'll be fine.

Two 10 gallon brews with one burner... now that gets interesting!
 

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
3,952
Reaction score
91
Location
Honolulu, HI
Yeah, delaying the 1st boil while you're heating the 2nd strike water will save you some time. Good thinking.

But I say this is a perfectly good "reason" to go pick up a 2nd burner. ;)
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Lil' Sparky said:
Yeah, delaying the 1st boil while you're heating the 2nd strike water will save you some time. Good thinking.

But I say this is a perfectly good "reason" to go pick up a 2nd burner. ;)
Yeah but then I'd have to get into splitting the propane and stuff. I don't plan on doing this again, I just need to get my St Paddy's brews done...
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
You'll need another kettle, too. I have a keggle and a 24qt. I'll run wort off into the keggle and I'll heat sparge water in the 24 qt. pot.

Then once I start running off of the 2nd sparge into the keggle I start heating my strike water for the 2nd batch.

I typically mash for 75 minutes, and even with that there's some overlap. Bringing wort to a boil, boiling for 60 min, then chilling and up taking 90 minutes or so.

I'm usually able to time it so that when I start draining my MLT into a bucket (batch #2), I can turn off the burner and set the keggle on the garage floor and hook up the IC (batch #1). This lets me use the 210k burner to heat sparge water for batch #2 instead of having to do it inside on the kitchen stove.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
ohiobrewtus said:
You'll need another kettle, too. I have a keggle and a 24qt. I'll run wort off into the keggle and I'll heat sparge water in the 24 qt. pot.

Then once I start running off of the 2nd sparge into the keggle I start heating my strike water for the 2nd batch.

I typically mash for 75 minutes, and even with that there's some overlap. Bringing wort to a boil, boiling for 60 min, then chilling and up taking 90 minutes or so.

I'm usually able to time it so that when I start draining my MLT into a bucket, I can turn off the burner and set the keggle on the garage floor and hook up the IC. This lets me use the 210k burner to heat sparge water for batch #2 instead of having to do it inside on the kitchen stove.
I have the keggle, 30qt pot, and 6.5 gallon bucket. I should be good to go with them...
 
Top