2 aerations, 2 empty tanks...this is getting pricey...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
So I got the Williams Brewing aeration setup, purchased a Worthington oxygen tank and successfully aerated a batch a few months back on the first attempt. Removed the fitting and stored the tank. Next time I went to use it, tank appeared empty. Screwed in the fitting, no gas. So I went out and bought another tank. Aerated great the first time, removed the Williams fitting. Now I've pulled the second tank down to do another batch, and no go. What's going on here? The tanks say to remove the torch when done. I'm thinking the Williams fitting might be buggering up the tank schraeder and making it leak. Any ideas?

[...]Any ideas?

Close the valve and just leave it connected to the tank?

Or you could spring for one of these.
ab_jul_15_2011_08_sm.jpg

That's a regulator/flow meter on a 20 cubic foot tank (nearly identical size to a 5 pound CO2 tank). Got it all an a local Airgas outlet. I last had it filled nearly two years ago and have brewed nearly 400 gallons of beer with it since. That would be a lot of little red O2 bottles. The needle is well down in the "refill" zone now but it still has a few more batches left in it...

Cheers!

I know this seems overly simple but I also have the Williams O2 system and have found the regulator needs to be turned 4-5 times before flow starts. Perhaps you just need to open it all the way?

If you remove the apparatus from the tank, I see no reason why the tank would leak O2 unless it was a horribly faulty tank.

I know its overly simple but that is the only thing I can think of having the same system.

Close the valve and just leave it connected to the tank?

Or you could spring for one of these.
ab_jul_15_2011_08_sm.jpg

That's a regulator/flow meter on a 20 cubic foot tank (nearly identical size to a 5 pound CO2 tank). Got it all an a local Airgas outlet. I last had it filled nearly two years ago and have brewed nearly 400 gallons of beer with it since. That would be a lot of little red O2 bottles. The needle is well down in the "refill" zone now but it still has a few more batches left in it...

Cheers!

What did that set you back roughly?

The fitting and operation is quite simple, this system is just not working for me. At least I got the wand out of it which is quite nice. I'll either not bother oxygenating or get me a setup similar to the one above.

I have the same system from Williams and have aerated at least 30 batches with one tank and it is still going. I would say you either have a leak somewhere or your regulator isn't working properly.

you are taking the valve/regulator off of the bottle each time? i don't think the tanks will seal themselves once the regulator is removed, im surprised you haven't heard the gas escaping as soon as you unscrew it

I always remove mine from the valve. The tank should self seal; it even says so on tank instructions.
On the regulator, I have to turn it all the way on every time to get the flow started. I got close to 15 brews out of my last tank.

I keep mine connected to the tank. I have the Williams kit as well. Works great and have gone a good 30+ batches on a single tank.

I always remove mine from the valve. The tank should self seal; it even says so on tank instructions.
On the regulator, I have to turn it all the way on every time to get the flow started. I got close to 15 brews out of my last tank.

I've been using mine for over 5 years. I store my setup separate from the bottles, and have never had any problems. They all self seal.

And YES you often have to crank them all the way open.

Well I feel like an idiot. I grabbed the tank that had emptied out the first time, rather than the second one I had purchased. They are similar looking. It does seem fully charged. The first tank was a Worthington and I'm guessing it leaked slowly out of the schraeder valve after the first use. The second one is BenzOMatic, if I can at least get a few uses out of it, I will stick with that brand.

So I'm using my unit today and its making a racket and leaking out the top hole. At least I'm getting O2. Has anyone taken one of these apart? Looks like the knob is also cracking from the vent hole outward. And to think I've recommended these to people.

Back