2.5 year old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I have acquired a bunch of beer equipment that a guy bought and never used. I have his two beer kits... That are 2.5 years old. Normally, I wouldn't consider using them, but they were kept frozen for the entire time he stored them, they are exactly what I need for a beer I've been wanting to make, and I'm too poor to spend the $30 on fresh ingredients.

I've already thrown out the yeast, but I plan on using the gold malt extract, the east Kent Golding hops, and I'm considering using the barley steeping grains. My two questions are:
1) should I avoid using the steeping grains (they don't taste stale)?
2) should I avoid using any of these ingredients?

I'm planning on using the ingredients to make an extremely simple, light beer with low IBU, so if the ingredients are stale, it'll probably be noticeable. But at least I'll have some beer again.

Not much to lose by trying, right? You either get decent beer or crappy beer.

Was it stored in airtight containers?

The hops aren't vacuum-sealed, but they are sealed and unopened. The malts are unopened mallard malts. I'm happy about that.

Not much to lose by trying, right? You either get decent beer or crappy beer.

True. I'll probably drink it either way. I'm just deciding now if the specialty barley steeping malt is worth using. I probably will only use 1/2 oz. of the 2 oz. bag to make sure it doesn't darken my wort too much. It doesn't taste stale either!

I have acquired a bunch of beer equipment that a guy bought and never used. I have his two beer kits... That are 2.5 years old. Normally, I wouldn't consider using them, but they were kept frozen for the entire time he stored them, they are exactly what I need for a beer I've been wanting to make, and I'm too poor to spend the $30 on fresh ingredients.

I've already thrown out the yeast, but I plan on using the gold malt extract, the east Kent Golding hops, and I'm considering using the barley steeping grains. My two questions are:
1) should I avoid using the steeping grains (they don't taste stale)?
2) should I avoid using any of these ingredients?

I'm planning on using the ingredients to make an extremely simple, light beer with low IBU, so if the ingredients are stale, it'll probably be noticeable. But at least I'll have some beer again.

could still make an "ok" beer but I don't think it will be good using 2.5 year old, stale extract and hops.

The hops aren't vacuum-sealed, but they are sealed and unopened. The malts are unopened mallard malts. I'm happy about that.

True. I'll probably drink it either way. I'm just deciding now if the specialty barley steeping malt is worth using. I probably will only use 1/2 oz. of the 2 oz. bag to make sure it doesn't darken my wort too much. It doesn't taste stale either!

Your steeping grains are the least you should be worried about. Most malt extract has about a year shelf life and hops degrade over time. That being said you really have nothing to lose brewing with it other than time.

Buy some cheap dry yeast and give it a go. It will more than likely taste nothing like it would with fresh ingredients but who knows it may be half decent.

I'm going to research my d-47 and my lalvin ec-1118 I already have and see which will be better suited for the blonde I'm making. I'm also planning on tossing in a wee amount of dried lavender at flameout and at dry hopping. That may liven it up a little. I'll post back on how it turns out in a few weeks or so

Edit: I'm using lalvin ec-1118; I simply found more information on people using it for beer.

I'm going to research my d-47 and my lalvin ec-1118 I already have and see which will be better suited for the blonde I'm making. I'm also planning on tossing in a wee amount of dried lavender at flameout and at dry hopping. That may liven it up a little. I'll post back on how it turns out in a few weeks or so

Edit: I'm using lalvin ec-1118; I simply found more information on people using it for beer.

It won't be a good beer. Lavender won't save it.
I know you said you don't want to spend $30 for a beer. But what is your time worth?

I am not sure the size of your batch, but if it's 3-5 Gallons, then spending $30 for fresh (as in - some time in 2016) ingredients is probably wise.

I could throw it away and save the time spent brewing it for other things (I would just binge watch the rest of Vikings), or I could spend $30 and have a fresher, tastier beer (which may be **** anyway since I'm experimenting with lavender) and suffer the wrath of my newly wedded SWMBO.

I've been craving the brewing process lately so I gotta do it, and if it tastes like old chihuahua turds, my friends and I will probably drink it no matter what, but I'm still a little hopeful, reminding myself that all the ingredients have been frozen all this time.

I can dream can't I?

I could throw it away and save the time spent brewing it for other things (I would just binge watch the rest of Vikings), or I could spend $30 and have a fresher, tastier beer (which may be **** anyway since I'm experimenting with lavender) and suffer the wrath of my newly wedded SWMBO.

I've been craving the brewing process lately so I gotta do it, and if it tastes like old chihuahua turds, my friends and I will probably drink it no matter what, but I'm still a little hopeful, reminding myself that all the ingredients have been frozen all this time.

I can dream can't I?

That's the spirit!!! I personally love the process as well. Drinking beer and grilling with a few buddies. Go for it and definitely let us know the results.

I'd use them.as a warm-up batch... probably reducing the size to get something with higher alcohol.
Let it ferment, bottle...
Even if it doesn't taste very good at the beginning, high gravities can age very well.
HTH

Back