2.5 gallons in 5 gallon bucket a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
How much oxidizing can I expect from this? My last 2 5 gallon batches came out a little disappointing, so I want to save some money and cut my new recipes in half...but I only have a 6 gallon carboy and a couple 5 gallon buckets. How much would only filling these up HALF way affect the taste of my brew? Thanks.

You'll be fine. I've done that and so have lots of others. Cheers!

I would skip secondary if you dont have a smaller container. But ive done 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket with no issues.

My brews seldom are bigger than 19 litres, my FVs are about 30 litres, the extra space is no problem, indeed an attribute, try filling that space with fermenting froth.

Same as above, did 3 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket recently and it turned out great. With all the Co2 produced during fermentation you won't have to worry about oxygen. The only thing I noticed was it took a bit of time for the airlock to start moving (though not sure if extra headspace qas the cause).

Like all the above go for it. Definitely nice not being worried about needing a blow off with the extra head space.

Back