2.5 Gallon versus 5 Gallon Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch (Irish Red Ale that came in my Northern Brewer Kit). It called for 2.5 gallons of water and then to top off the carboy to 5 gallons. Is there a benefit to doing the boil with a full 5 gallons so there is no topping off? What are the pros/cons? Thanks.

From http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2011/08/full-vs-partial-wort-boil/ :

Partial Volume Boil – Boiling a concentrated wort and diluting with water after the boil to reach full volume

Pros -

Boils can easily be done on a stove top
Can be done in 3-4 gallon kettle
Reduces the amount of time needed to bring to a boil
Wort chilling times reduced with less volume

Cons -

Concentrated wort reduces hop extraction efficiency, more hops are needed to reach bitterness levels of full wort boil(approx. 10-25%)
Boil overs can be more difficult to clean up
Increased wort darkening occurs in concentrated wort boils
All grain brewing requires a full wort boil

Full Volume Boil – Starting with 6 or more gallons and boiling down to a 5 gallon batch size

Pros -

Increased hop utilization over partial volume boil
less wort darkening
Ability to brew all grain batches

Cons -

Can be difficult to boil 5+ gallons on stove
Requires 7.5+ gallon kettle
May require alternative heat source
Additional chill time or use of wort chiller needed
Increased time to bring to a boil

The main cons in a full volume boil is that it takes longer to heat up, and longer to cool down (and extra equipment is required for both parts). The pros are as stated above: hop utilization, color, etc.

The fact that all grain is almost always full-volume isn't really a pro or a con to me, it's just a technicality. You could technically do a partial-volume all-grain brew, it's just not very common.

What about dividing the recipe in two and doing two 2.5 boils? Seems like it would be a happy medium. Get full hop utilization and most of the effort is in time and babysitting so it's not really duplication of effort for equal results imo.

I've been "watching the pot" for 15 minutes on a test run with 6 gallons on my induction cooktop. I'm not sure it's going to boil. Is there a benefit to boil say 4 gallons versus the 2.5 that my racer 5 clone prescribes? I think my stove can get that done. Is it a problem if I put the lid on the kettle to get it started? Thanks.

I've been "watching the pot" for 15 minutes on a test run with 6 gallons on my induction cooktop. I'm not sure it's going to boil. Is there a benefit to boil say 4 gallons versus the 2.5 that my racer 5 clone prescribes? I think my stove can get that done. Is it a problem if I put the lid on the kettle to get it started? Thanks.

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't have a wort chiller, so I'm trying to find the happy medium of 2.5 - 5 gallon boils.

There's a benefit, but you have to be sure you understand the hop utilization. If a recipe was formulated (and tweaked, perfected, etc.) with a certain boil size, then you'd have to adjust the hops for the new size to end up with the exact same result. In theory.

I do put the lid on in the beginning to get it going but then keep it uncovered.

Latest posts

Back