2.5 gallon batches ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone do the 1 gallon batches like the do on Basic Brewing? I'm ordering a 3 gallon Better Bottle and a 1 Gallon glass jug so I can get going on a few more recipes.

I'll get to 50 1 gallon batches under my belt this year by Father's day! I LOVE 1 gallon brewing! I hit 70% and I literally just mash in a pot then dump the grains in a strainer and run the wort through 4 times. No worries about weather, no worries about 30+ beers I didn't like. I've learned so much about brewing and experimented so much by sticking with it.

SWMBO gave me the go ahead in Febraury to go to 5 gallon and get whatever i want, still haven't bought a single piece of equipment. I will probably go to 2.5 gallon next year, but I also usually do double batch brew days and I get a 16oz 12-pack out of it...thats really all I need. Not the biggest drinker and I do love "researching" craft brews so its not really a big deal to me. Right now I got 5 left of one of my best batches...2 batches finishing carbing, 2 batches finishing dryhopping and one batch almost done fermenting.

As for fermentation vessels...if you really want 2-4 gallon glass "carboy." Go to a nice wine store and have them order the cheapest Salmanazar (2.1 gallon) Balthazar (3 gallon) or Nebuchadnezzar (3.7 gallon) of wine/champagne you can get. It won't be the cheapest but you do get to drink the wine/champagne. I great excuse would be an engagement/wedding/etc. If you can get the punted bottoms on them the trub will settle out in the lower ends and you can siphon off of the peak with little fear of ever sucking up trub. This is the only solution I can find besides scientific equipment which is simply outrageous. You can get a 4-pack of 2.2 glass carboys for $800 on Amazon. I favor glass in case you didn't figure that out

Latest posts

Back