2.5 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am ready to start experimenting with some recipes. I noticed that most of the recipes are for 5 gallons. I wanted to try to do 2.5 gallon batches because it will give me more flexibility to experiment given the space I have and the equipment I have.

Does anyone have experience running smaller batches? Can you do half what's on 5 gallon recipes? Or is there something that's not as linear?

Lots of people make smaller batches. Grain, hops, and yeast all scale well. Water is not quite as simple: You will evaporate a near-constant volume per hour regardless of batch size, given the same kettle. The same may also apply for any fixed water losses, such as mash tun dead space (if applicable). So you'll generally start with proportionately more water relative to your final volume in a smaller batch.

I like 2.5 gallon batches. Easy to handle in 3 gallon carboys (especially since I got a cordura carboy cover).

I do 2.5 gallon batches exclusively. Yes, you can cut 5 gallon recipe in half, but you may want to figure out your boil off rate, which may differ. I also still use yeast starters even though some have claimed they are not necessary. I usually brew back to back days two different batches. One thing that is really nice is that I have more variety in my pipeline.

I am ready to start experimenting with some recipes. I noticed that most of the recipes are for 5 gallons. I wanted to try to do 2.5 gallon batches because it will give me more flexibility to experiment given the space I have and the equipment I have.

Does anyone have experience running smaller batches? Can you do half what's on 5 gallon recipes? Or is there something that's not as linear?

If you have Beersmith you can scale down a recipe by adjusting a few things or you could plug in percentage in Brewers Friend. I do three gallon experiment batches all the time and those are the ones that usually tun out awesome and then I wish I brewed five.

I do 2.5 gallon batches as well. Of course you also have to adjust for efficiency of your process, so depending on the recipe it may not be as simple as 50%, but that is a good rule of thumb.

I split the wort into two 1 gallon jugs and use the leftovers to keep on hand for starter wort.

My standard batch size is 10 liters (~2.8 gal). I find this size helps with developing recipes, providing a broader variety of styles available for drinking, and giving me more chances to brew (which has allowed me to fine tune my process). As JBOGAN pointed out above, having some software makes scaling recipes much easier and makes it easier to make your own ;)

Back