2.5 Gallon Batches - Is it worth making a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
I really only use liquid yeast which is about 90-95 billion cells per vial by the time I'm pitching.

Some of my recipes have calculated 110-120 billion cells. Is it worth making a starter for that much of a gain? Will I experience anything besides slightly slower fermentation by underpitching?

My usual starter consists of stir plate with DME

I'm normally a 5+ gallon brewer but recently started doing quick (read simple ingredients quick mash) 2-3 gallon batches... i started thinking i didn't need a starter for a low OG 2 gallon batch but i started doing a 1L starter and i've noticed much "cleaner" beer. Less out-of-style phenols and esters and better attenuation and flocculation with yeasts that i'm very intimate with at larger volumes. Starter all the way.

UNLESS you're looking for certain characteristics in a specific style of beer. ie more banana in a witbier or hefe by underpitching at lower oxygen/wort ratios and fermenting hot etc.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a starter in that situation. One of the nice things about small batch brewing is NOT making a starter, imo. Just because Jamil suffers from obsessive-compulsion disorder doesn't mean that you have to as well.

Make a large starter and pitch one-half of it. The other half will be fresh yeast for the next batch.
Then make another large starter and pitch half of it. The other half will be fresh yeast for the next batch.

Are you always brewing 1.075+ beers?
One tube is plenty for 2 gallons unless you're tackling high test stuff.

Regardless, it's so close to the suggested, you should certainly try just pitching the tube and not worrying about starters unless you're noting excessive phenolics or yeast stress effects in the beer.

Make a large starter and pitch one-half of it. The other half will be fresh yeast for the next batch.
Then make another large starter and pitch half of it. The other half will be fresh yeast for the next batch.

I like this idea honestly. I will probably just make a 2L starter and harvest 300-350 billion cells and use it for two batches. Pour 1L in, sanitize the top, cover in sanitized aluminum, set it in the fridge for the next weeks batch.

What would be the consequence of over-pitching by 5-10 percent?

You would still be underpitching by most pro-brew standards. Try brewers friend's pitch calculator. While I admit they are not the leaders in the industry in any way, their explanation of pitch rates and how other calculators do it give you some deeper insight into the pitching/fermentation process

on small batch low OG worts, I do not need a starter... You can do a High OG 2.5 gallon batch and need a small starter...

Back