2.5 gallon batches and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I have been doing smaller batches because I just don't drink enough to warrant 5 gallon batches and I want to brew more often because I'm still new to the hobby and want to try new brews. I'm curious about trying a liquid yeast for my next batch, and my home brew calculator says that a 2.5 gallon batch with a gravity of 1.060 doesn't need a starter. I've read how important it is to have a starter on 5 gallon batches. Is it okay to pitch one vial of yeast with no starter for that size of batch?

I have been doing smaller batches because I just don't drink enough to warrant 5 gallon batches and I want to brew more often because I'm still new to the hobby and want to try new brews. I'm curious about trying a liquid yeast for my next batch, and my home brew calculator says that a 2.5 gallon batch with a gravity of 1.060 doesn't need a starter. I've read how important it is to have a starter on 5 gallon batches. Is it okay to pitch one vial of yeast with no starter for that size of batch?

Yes, as long as your OG is not out of sight. A 1.060 2.5 gal batch should take off like a bomb. Good luck with your beer.......:D

Thanks, just wanted to make sure that was common practice before I try it

Back