2.5 gal boil for 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont believe this is a partial boil but I may be wrong.

It's a partial boil (half the water at start of boil, half the water at end of boil). The recipe states adding all the LME at the start of the boil. This was a common practice in the era of How To Brew, 1e (aka the online version of How To Brew). In How To Brew (4e), chapter one has a well thought out approach for "stove top brewing" with extract (aka: partial boil with late additions; "Palmer Brewing Method"; or "wort a/b"). And there are many additional details remaining chapters of the extract brewing section.

If I do 6 gal boil and run the same system as I have before will this screw up the batch?

IBUs will be impacted (should be a little higher as you are brewing a lower SG wort in a larger volume).

Color may be impacted. Longer boils will darken wort (of any composition); full volume boils will lighten the wort color.

Is it better to boil a whole 5 gallons? Also with evaporations should you start with more then 5 gallons

Back