2.5 Batch Question -- 5 Gallon Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomTomTom

Reaction score
I have been getting into smaller 2.5 beer making kits. (A new store I have been going to sells them and -- for various reasons -- I prefer them to their 5.0 brothers).

I have been doing research (on this site of course!) suggesting there is nothing inherently "bad" about using a 5 gallon bucket to ferment a 2.5 gallon batch. However, a lot of people recommend eventually using a smaller (3-4 gallon vessel) as a secondary.

Here is the problem though. I actually don't tend to use secondaries. (Again, a lot of my research suggests this is not inherently "bad" -- especially at the level of brewmaking (i.e., "half-ass") that I am working at.

So here's my ultimate question: Is it okay to make a 2.5 gallon batch using a 5 gallon bucket -- if I don't plan to use a secondary?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's fine. The only concern would be increased headspace for O2 to hang out in but that doesn't really matter if you let fermentation fill it with CO2 anyway.

I have been wondering the same - the smaller batches are appealing for experimenting and learning. I have done 20 gallons in the past five weeks, and while I am enjoying drinking the first coming off the pipelines, 4 gallons a week consumption might be excessive.

I have been looking at the FastFerment 3g for some of the reasons above.

I have been fermenting in 5 gallon corny kegs without any issues. I place about 3 gallons of wort into the corny keg to account for loss (0.5 gallon) from the yeast cake and what.

Last edited:
Back