2.5 Batch Question -- 5 Gallon Fermentation Bucket

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TomTomTom

Reaction score
I have been getting into smaller 2.5 beer making kits. (A new store I have been going to sells them and -- for various reasons -- I prefer them to their 5.0 brothers).

I have been doing research (on this site of course!) suggesting there is nothing inherently "bad" about using a 5 gallon bucket to ferment a 2.5 gallon batch. However, a lot of people recommend eventually using a smaller (3-4 gallon vessel) as a secondary.

Here is the problem though. I actually don't tend to use secondaries. (Again, a lot of my research suggests this is not inherently "bad" -- especially at the level of brewmaking (i.e., "half-ass") that I am working at.

So here's my ultimate question: Is it okay to make a 2.5 gallon batch using a 5 gallon bucket -- if I don't plan to use a secondary?

Thanks!

shanecb

Reaction score
Yeah, it's fine. The only concern would be increased headspace for O2 to hang out in but that doesn't really matter if you let fermentation fill it with CO2 anyway.

DownstairsBrewing

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same - the smaller batches are appealing for experimenting and learning. I have done 20 gallons in the past five weeks, and while I am enjoying drinking the first coming off the pipelines, 4 gallons a week consumption might be excessive.

I have been looking at the FastFerment 3g for some of the reasons above.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fermenting in 5 gallon corny kegs without any issues. I place about 3 gallons of wort into the corny keg to account for loss (0.5 gallon) from the yeast cake and what.

Last edited: