1st Yeast Harvest Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Was racking a batch to secondary last weekend and decided to finally try and harvest some yeast from the primary. This batch just used US-05 which I figured would be a good one for my first attempt. Ended up with 2 quart sized mason jars that have been in the fridge for a week now. I definitely got some yeast that dropped out of both jars but doesn't appear to be that much. Thinking it may make sense to decant both of these and make a starter with the yeast from both but rather then pitching that into a batch harvest the yeast from the starter and see if I can get 4 pints jars of US-05. Reason being is that I am doing some test 1 gallon batches to try different SMASH recipes and the US-05 will work good for that purpose.

yeast#1.jpg

Yeast#2.jpg

Looks like nice clean yeast to me. It may not look like much but that cake at the bottom is tightly packed. You'll see when you decant and swirl, it will break into chunks before it turns into slurry. Nice job. I would probably combine them, just to ensure you have enough viable yeast for a starter for the next batch.

Back