1st timer with some questions about raised boxes and trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife wants to enter the world of vegetable gardens this year, so I figured it's a good time to finally start growing hops as well (if I'm going to dig up the backyard, might as well do it all at once).

We're going to be doing a set of raised boxes for the garden and the hops. From what I have read, the hops will shoot out and take over an area within in couple of years. Because of this, I will be making separate boxes for the hops. The plan is to put 2-3 rihzomes in each box. With that in mind, is a 4'x2' box too large/small? Or is it about right?

Second, I'd like to have a trellis on the back of the box. The hope is that the vine would fill in the lattice work and help create a sort of privacy screen. That said, all of the images of the beautiful gardens you guys have here, they all seem to be just running up a line. Is this not something I want to do? Or can I do it and just using something like these guys and just add them each day as the vine grows? I understand they will climb fast as they start to grow, will this hurt them if I'm only able to add a clip once/twice a day?

Third, will 10' be tall enough? Not really looking to go too much over this, as the trellis would then be sticking up above the height of the garage, and be visible from the street. Might look a little weird. That said, i don't want to sacrifice yield/health for looks.

Lastly, the boxes will be spaced at least the width of the lawn mower apart, maybe a touch more. With different varietals planted, will this be too close together?

I'm looking to plant Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial. We use primarily those strains. Any that you would suggest for a Philly climate? Lately it seems to get pretty damn hot with alot of humidity in the area during the summer. From what I've read, these seem to be able to take this ok. Thoughts?

Hey all,

My wife wants to enter the world of vegetable gardens this year, so I figured it's a good time to finally start growing hops as well (if I'm going to dig up the backyard, might as well do it all at once).

We're going to be doing a set of raised boxes for the garden and the hops. From what I have read, the hops will shoot out and take over an area within in couple of years. Because of this, I will be making separate boxes for the hops. The plan is to put 2-3 rihzomes in each box. With that in mind, is a 4'x2' box too large/small? Or is it about right?

Second, I'd like to have a trellis on the back of the box. The hope is that the vine would fill in the lattice work and help create a sort of privacy screen. That said, all of the images of the beautiful gardens you guys have here, they all seem to be just running up a line. Is this not something I want to do? Or can I do it and just using something like these guys and just add them each day as the vine grows? I understand they will climb fast as they start to grow, will this hurt them if I'm only able to add a clip once/twice a day?

Third, will 10' be tall enough? Not really looking to go too much over this, as the trellis would then be sticking up above the height of the garage, and be visible from the street. Might look a little weird. That said, i don't want to sacrifice yield/health for looks.

Lastly, the boxes will be spaced at least the width of the lawn mower apart, maybe a touch more. With different varietals planted, will this be too close together?

I'm looking to plant Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial. We use primarily those strains. Any that you would suggest for a Philly climate? Lately it seems to get pretty damn hot with alot of humidity in the area during the summer. From what I've read, these seem to be able to take this ok. Thoughts?

4x2 is definitely too small. Hops of the same varietal should be planted 2-3 feet apart, different varietals should be 5-6 feet apart.

The rope is used primarily for harvesting purposes I believe. It's much easier to tie a rope off that you can drop to the ground for easy harvesting. A lattice like trellis will require you to use a ladder which could get cumbersome.

10' feet is high enough. Ideally 20' is the goal but 10' will work.

Most people only train one bine so that the plant puts all of its energy into that one bine to produce big, healthy cones. Lots of em!

EDIT: Also, the lattice will make it difficult to keep the hops from mingling together. If they're the same variety no biggie, but keeping different varietals apart would be a challenge unless you stayed on top of it diligently.

Maybe I didn't word that correctly. I'm looking to make three boxes, one for each varietal, at 4'x2' in size.

Maybe I didn't word that correctly. I'm looking to make three boxes, one for each varietal, at 4'x2' in size.

Oh... Yeah that would totally work. I would make them 2-3ft tall too so the roots have plenty of room.

4'x2' will work great. Mine are spaced in a long 2' wide raised-bed at the front of the garden. The bed is only 8" deep, but has decent soil below.

Mine are 2x2 - 2 for the box, and 8 foot tall with an 8 foot wingspan. I can't atone for how well they work yet because it's my first year.

DSC_0276 (2).jpg

Back