1st time - what else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbyfan

Reaction score
Hey so I've helped some other people brew a couple batched of beer before but ready to give it a go myself. I have an incomplete assortment of equipment and just wondering what else I need or should pick up before starting my own first batch. I have a purchased extract kit that I will be using.

I have a sufficiently large brew kettle, 2 buckets (1 with a hole in it for bottling), a 6 gallon carboy (without anything to put in the top), a capper/caps, bottles, and a siphon w/ some tubing.

I do want to do secondary fermentation and feel like as long as I have this carboy I should use it. From reading around this forum is sounds like I could use the 6 gallon carboy for primary fermentation but maybe it would leave to much headspace for secondary? If used in this way it sounds like I might need a blow off tube (if so, what exactly is that?). If the 6 gallon is too big for a secondary, would you guys recommend getting a 5 gallon carboy for this?

I'd suggest getting a hydrometer, racking cane, large stainless steel spoon, airlocks, bung for the airlock. Cleaner and sanitizer, if you'd don't have these already. A blow off tube is either inserted into the airlock's port, or, using a larger tube, inserted into the carboy's opening. It prevents the pressure from fermentation from blowing off the airlock which results in beer escaping the fermenter.

I wouldn't worry about the headspace in the secondary. I'm assuming you're doing a 5 gallon batch.

I'm probably missing some things, but you should be fine. General things to keep in mind for your first solo brew, keep things sanitary, think about how you will transfer your beer from vessel to vessel, and have a plan for fermentation temperature control.

Latest posts

Back