1st time water adjustment....feedback please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuskenraider

Reaction score
Hello!

So I've got some Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Lactic Acid to play with. I'd like to adjust my Chicago water profile to best suit an IPA. I've read a bit on the subject, but all the concepts aren't clicking quite yet. I figure I'll get some sulfate in there to accentuate the hops and some lactic acid to bring the pH down a bit when mashing/sparging. Some values look out of whack with the additions, but I guess I'd like to know I'm doing more good than harm until I get further understanding of balancing adjustments. Didn't want to get the calcium too high, looks I need some chloride(but how without adding calcium), my bicarbonate is low.....Thoughts?

waterprofile.jpg

There is little need to limit calcium in brewing water. Going well over 60 ppm is not a problem.

The bicarbonate concentration is neither high or low unless the estimated mash pH is out of range. There is no ideal or correct bicarb concentration. It varies with every grist.

100 ppm sulfate will provide some impact on helping to dry a beer's finish and allow the hops and bittering to come through. I like the effect of even more sulfate, but each drinker has their preferences. A safe way would be to increase the various concentrations with successive brews to see if there is a level that you prefer.

The Primer is there for people in your shoes.
Well yeah, I said I've read upon the subject, thanks. I try not to be one of those people, but if I am this time, so be it.

There is little need to limit calcium in brewing water. Going well over 60 ppm is not a problem.

100 ppm sulfate will provide some impact on helping to dry a beer's finish and allow the hops and bittering to come through. I like the effect of even more sulfate, but each drinker has their preferences. A safe way would be to increase the various concentrations with successive brews to see if there is a level that you prefer.
I was concerned that too much calcium would over accentuate the malt flavor, so I kept the CaSO4 lower. I did try adding a little to a beer I was drinking last week, the tiniest amount, and it was off putting, so I wanted to be careful with the amount. I'm sure mashing and sparging with it changes the taste a little. Thanks for the comments.

I did try adding a little to a beer I was drinking last week, the tiniest amount, and it was off putting, so I wanted to be careful with the amount. I'm sure mashing and sparging with it changes the taste a little. Thanks for the comments.

How well did the CaSO4 dissolve?

Kai

How well did the CaSO4 dissolve?

Kai
Very easily it seemed. I had the tiniest bit on the tip of a spoon and stirred it in one of my IPA's. It caused it to fizz up the head a bit and when I took the first sip, I just got way too much sulfur flavor. Very unscientific, but I couldn't imagine or expect the amount measurable on any type of commercial scale.

Back