1st time reusing yeast and still active???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam26

Reaction score
I reused a yeast from a previous batch on the 21st, made a starter and let it sit 48 hours before pitching. Well the yeast is still throwing a bubble every 10-15 seconds? Is this ok? Or did I screw up? This was the most active yeast I have used to date, it was active and vigorous with in 8 -12 hours of pitching. Its been 8 days of activity. It is a amber ale and the yeast strain is from Wyeast american ale........:confused:

Well you didn't give a lot of detail about the OG of the batch, sometimes it takes a while longer to chew through the higher OG's. Just let it sit until done, even if it takes 3 weeks, it'll be fine. Move it to someplace room temp (low 70's) to finish up, rather than ferment temps ( I ferment around 67F).

how do you know the "yeast" is throwing bubbles around like a game of basketball? and not the beer it self "off-gasing" co2
leave it alone for another week and take 2 consecutive gravity readings within 3 days to make sure final gravity is reached
if it stays the same your ready to bottle!!
congrats!

EDIT: regarding your quick start. i always find 2nd gen yeast to start a alot faster than 1st gen out of the vile

I have always thought the bubbling meant fermentation was still going on? I have learned something new thanks! I have another batch of beer that I used a smack pack and a starter on and it is going really well too. I guess the whole starter thing is really helpful......

Back