1st Time growing hops...some Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BSBrewer

Reaction score
So I just bought a house in August and have really gotten into the homebrewing since.

At the back of my property there is 7 8'x3' planter boxes that the old owner had tons of veges in and I was thinking of dedicating a few to growing hops.

I was thinking of ordering from here: http://www.beer-wine.com/products/hop-rhizomes but how many of these would I need per planter?

From what I've read you shouldn't allow 2 types to cross so I figured each planter will be dedicated to one type of hops.

Thoughts on how many to order?

GMesick

Reaction score
Lucky you! I would go with 3 of each kind (one on each end of the bed and one in the middle). Then follow the usual "how-to" guidance about only letting the 3 or 4 strongest bines grow each year. If you want more rhizomes, you will be able to dig them up in a couple years and divide them. And if you are on a real tight budget, you can start with just one of each and divide them in a couple years. They will increase and multiply! The trade-off is time and money. But I don't think I would ever go with more than, say, five in beds that size. They will choke each other out.

netjunk1e

Reaction score
If you want lots of hops, I would do 7 types, with spaced 2' so thats 3-4 plants per box. The first year, you may not get many hops, I had a very good first year, with 3/4# per plant, but don't count on it.

I got my plants from freshops.com Lots of good info there also.

bohdan987

Reaction score
i ordered my yesterday from midwest supplies for 4.25 each
CASCADE
FUGGLE
GOLDING
HALLERTAU
HORIZON
NUGGET
TETTNANG
Subtotal 29.75, free shipping.:mug:
i tryed to grow hops last year but thanks to my brother and weed killer it didint work out.:mad: i have to move my trelis to different spot this time.

OP
BSBrewer

BSBrewer

Reaction score
any recommendation on what a 1st time grower should go with?

I'm doing Cascade without a doubt but I'm torn on what my 2nd/3rd choices should be...thoughts on most versatile

samc

Reaction score
Depends on what you like to brew. I went with Cascade, Centennial & Magnum for IPA's.

cheezydemon3

Banned
Reaction score
Wish I could find Glacier rhizomes. Anyone seen them?

Magnum is a definite so you can brew a harvest IPA with some certainty that it will have some bitterness.

Giving thought to growing on the fence and the kids playhouse this year too!

OP
BSBrewer

BSBrewer

Reaction score
well just placed my order with Midwest - going for Cascade and Centennial (since I just had a bangin IPA made with them and I want to try and replicate it)

guess we will see how much of a green (or black) thumb I have!