1st time extract brewer question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmerz

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been reading these forums for years and just recently bought our equipment and brewed the first batch. It's an American amber ale. We brewed on March 12th, we have a fast ferment conical and it's been in there since. On March 19th we added cascade whole cone hops to dry hop. Due to some delays and set backs we have yet to bottle. We are planning to bottle this Tuesday. I guess my question is, will this beer be ok with dry hopping this long? From what I have been reading most people only dry hop for 3-5 days before bottling/kegging?

Thanks, Jim

I've gone as long as two week without any adverse effects. Although, I have read on here there is point at which you start getting a green vegetal flavor. You should be much less likely to get that with whole cone.

I bet your fine. Take a sample and get ready to package. And welcome to a new obsession!

Some people do report a vegetal taste with more than a week dry hopping but I've never noticed it in the ones that spent 2 weeks or more. I suspect a difference in their water or the variety of hops would lead to the vegetal taste or they are more in tune with flavors and I might just not notice it.

Through forgetfulness I've dry hopped with Cascade pellets for 15 days. No off taste or aroma. Normally only 7 days.

Some beer recipes require 14 days for dry hopping such as dogfish had IPAs and Pliny, Heady Topper, etc.

Back