1st time brewing. Is this looking normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smgbad

Reaction score
Hi all! Started my first Kombucha brew last sunday and was just checking in on everything. Does this look normal?

that's actually looking very healthy so far
Good. I was hoping so, bit i thought that since it was only going to be fermenting for a couple more days that the new Scoby would be visible and look similar to the original Scoby by now.

Also, any tips as to the next steps? I was planning on pouring this into smaller bottles with around 2 or 3 tsp of grated ginger and letting it ferment again for a bout 3 days. Trying to get a taste similar to MasterBrew ginger Kombucha which is a very fizzy version that tastes like spicy ginger beer with light vinegar undertones.

Also, should i strain it when it goes into the small bottles? There's a lot of sediment/growth at the bottom that i don't know quite what I should do with it the way it sits right now...

Ive only added ginger during the steeping of the tea so I cant speak to results on that. As far as the sediment once you pull the scoby out just carefully decant into your vessel because you will need to keep some of that liquid for your next batch and to house your scoby. I wouldnt worry about getting any of the "mother" in your finished product unless visually it grosses you out.

Back