1st time bottler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
So I have brewed my first batch of awesome. Its been in the primary over a week, and according to my hydrometer should be done by next week. Its a Belgian White and I used dry yeast so yes it fermented rather quick. Here is my problem now, I'm thinking about moving to a secondary for a week, should I? Also, I'm going to bottle it but what is this bottle conditioning?? I know nothing about it.... please explain how and why I am adding sugar, I'm sure it has something to do with carbonating but I don't know what.

if you have the patience, leave it in the primary for a full month, then bottle it. secondary is only for dry hopping, adding fruit, and for beers that take longer than a month to ferment (high ABV beers and lagers).

when yeast eats sugar, it produces alcohol and CO2. after you add the sugar, you bottle and cap the beer so that the CO2 will get absorbed by the beer and make is fizzy.

you beer has alcohol in it now, so be sure not to splash/aerate it or else it may go stale and develop a cardboard taste.

Skip the secondary and just wait. Use that time to plan your next brew :)
Here is a handy tool for figuring out your priming sugar amounts. They always give you a 5oz bag of priming sugar/corn sugar with the kits. I find that 5oz is too much for most styles. Use this calculator instead to figure out exactly how much priming sugar to add....
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

P.S. if you can, you should taste the flat beer before you add the sugar just to become more familiar with the product/process.

Yeah thanks I think I'll skip the secondary, I gave the beer a taste, It tastes pretty good for a warm unfinished product I'm somewhat impressed so far. As for adding sugar to carbonate the beer before capping the bottles, how much per bottle? Whats the downfall of using those carbonation drops instead?

you need a bottling bucket. it is easier to bulk prime with 4-5 oz of sugar in 2 cups of water added to the bottling bucket. then rack your beer on top of the sugar solution.

Bottling bucket good idea, added to the grocery list

also some one was swearing to me you have to use a secondary to prevent off flavors from dying yeast. AND i read somewhere that a wit beer either has to have a secondary or has to not or something to that effect to truely be a wit beer or some **** anyone who could provide clarity please

^ this is must read article.
Organization is half of job at bottling.

Back