1st recipe help (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
I thought I would post here to get a wide range of help and opinions. This is what I have so far. I am looking for a smooth slighty carmel flavored pale ale. This is what I have come up with :

6 lb Dry light malt
1 lb Crystal 40L
1/2 lb Dextrin Malt

Hops
not a clue yet with Bittering. Maybe Chinook, Galena, Northern Brewer or Perle.
Aroma + Finishing with Fuggles or Wilamette
Possible combination:
N. Brewer 60 min 1oz
N. Brewer 30 min 1oz
Wilamette 5 min 1 oz

Wyeast American 1056

Looks good.

I'd use Galena with willamette for American Character and Northern Brewer with Fuggles for a more british character, depending on your preference.
(chinook is great, but it ain't "smooth" in my opinion)

I'd also add a 10 or 15 minute addition though. I find those hops don't come through enough with just one late addition (ever for lightly hopped ales). You could even skip the 30 minute addition and up the 60. I try to get my IBUs from the 60, and I manipulate the schedule from 20 minutes to 0 to get the flavour and aroma profile I want.

You'll have a nice pale ale whatever you choose.

Thanks for the help worry! I am now thinking of the need to add the Dextrin. I was reading it is a little difficult to work with. Is this true? Does anyone know about this? Do I have to do anything extra or can it be added with my Crystal for a 20-30 span? Also what IBU should i be shooting for in a Pale Ale? With adding 2 oz of Galena @ 60min and doing Willamette @ 10 mins. I calculate a IBU of 73.5.

Thanks for the help worry! I am now thinking of the need to add the Dextrin. I was reading it is a little difficult to work with. Is this true? Does anyone know about this? Do I have to do anything extra or can it be added with my Crystal for a 20-30 span? Also what IBU should i be shooting for in a Pale Ale? With adding 2 oz of Galena @ 60min and doing Willamette @ 10 mins. I calculate a IBU of 73.5.

Dextrine Malt is the same as Carapils, from my understanding. I've used this with extract and it isn't difficult to work with at all. It can add body and head retention. 1/2 pound is probably fine. You don't need to do anything else.

I would shoot for 40-45 IBUs max. 73.5 is a very bitter IPA. Try one oz of Galena.

I changed it a bit and came up with this but a partial mash was suggested.
I was suggested .8 gal of water for the grains 30-45 mins @ 154 degrees then add water to make a 3 gallon boil.

6 lb Dry light Muntons
1 lb American 2-row pale
12 oz Crystal 40 L
8 oz Carapils

Hops:
1 oz Galena <60 min>
1 oz Willamette <20 min>
1 oz Willamette <5 min>

Wyeast 1056

Am I on the right track?

Back