1st partial mash, what does the collective think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
Hefeweizen, of course...

3 lbs pilsner DME
4 lbs white wheat malt
.5 lb carapils

Mashed the grains with 3 gallons of water at about 158 in the brew kettle inside a grain bag for 45 minutes, then pulled the bag and let it drain. No sparge, figured I had plenty of water in the mash already.

1 oz Hallertau 60 minutes
.25 oz Perle 20 minutes (7.5 AA!?!)

Wyeast 3068

OG was at 1.065 and I was adding water incrementally to hit my target of 1.051 and then I broke my hydrometer so I guessed at the outcome, should be fine for a 5 gallon batch.

So I've done about 20 AG batches but never a partial mash, I had only a few hours this evening so I thought it would be a good time saver, what do y'all think?

Looks solid to me, although I probably would have split the mash wheat/pils and used wheat extract (although without vorlaufing the hulls from the barley aren't as critical).

How much wort did you have @ 1.065? Assuming losses to the grain and boil-off it doesn't seem like it would be enough to dilute to 5 gallons at 1.051 (~4 gallons pre-dilution).

Hope it turns out well, I just had the first bottle of my most recent batch of hefe, which carbed in only 4 days (love that 3068). Needs another week or two, but I’m pretty happy with it already.

Well hopefully the OG came out OK. My math was (.065/-4)=-.016 -.016+1.065=1.049OG which is close enough. I love that 3068, I pitched at 9PM Monday night at at 7AM Tuesday morn, it had a HUGE krausen already. It produces so much heat during fermentation that I had a hard time keeping temps under control, I have my fridge set at 66 and the digital probe I have taped to the side of the carboy claims the fermentation vessel is at 73-74, may have a huge banana profile.

Back