1st NEIPA dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Just brewed my 2nd NEIPA yesterday. Used the same recipe, same yeast (Omega DIPA), etc. The only thing i changed was the water profile. My first NEIPA had 30 hours post pitch before visible signs of fermentation showed up. This one is appearing to do the same thing, as I'm about 26-27 hours post pitch now with no active signs of fermentation.
I know that no airlock activity and no Krausen doesn't mean it's not fermenting. I also know that it's important that the first dry hop be done during fermentation.
Is it worth it to pull a gravity sample now to see if it's moved and if it has, add the dry hop? Or at this point just wait until there is a krausen which will most likely be tomorrow morning?

I would not a pull a gravity sample now and then again later to dry hop. It seems unneccessary to expose the beer to oxygen two times ( even though the fermentation will scavange the oxygen? ) when there is really no need to.

Just give it 12-24 hours more, and it will show signs of fermentation. Dry hop there and dry hop again before bottling/kegging.

+- 24 hours means nothing for the beer or the outcome. You will still enjoy this beer rather quickly, especially if you keg. :p

Are you targeting a particular gravity for the hop addition? The handful of pro brewer recommendations I have seen suggest adding first dry hops at around 1.020-1.022. For me, that is typically 48 hrs after pitching a healthy portion of yeast (3 cup starter, or 1/2 cup of slurry from previous batch).

If you want to just wing it, I would suggest just waiting 24 hrs after you get bubbling and krauesen.

Back