1st mead attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeperman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here.
New to brewing as well but ready to get started , brewing kit on the way.
Anyhow, just wondering I've gtr 3 qts of wildflower honey from my bees that could be
used for my 1st batch of mead, is that enough to make a couple gallons of mead and is that enough (2 gals.)to make the effort worthwhile ?
And is the complete meadmaker book by ken schramm a good guide book ? I have purchased that and looked through it some.

Thanks

Ken's book is great. I read it cover to cover over a few days and then use it for reference when I need a refresh.

3 qts is around 9 pounds I think. A good starting recipe (as it's very hard ot mess up) is the Joes ancient orange mead (just google or forum search it) It's ll over the web. That uses 3.5 Lbs of honey per Gallon of water.

If you wanted to make just a straight mead (traditional) with just honey, water, and yeast. I find a good ratio to use is between 2.5-3 Pounds of honey per gallon. Mix it all up in a sanitized jug, add 1/2 tsp/per gallon of yeast nutrient when you pitch yeast and another 1/2tsp/gal after a few days (that's called Staggered nutrient addition. That's just a basic way but you can google it for more in depth instructions and info).

I just started my first mead two days ago. :cross: Pretty much the one i'm making is like the joe's ancient orange mead as MarshmallowBlue mention, except for tweaking a few things like adding pears which hopefully doesn't back fire -__-. It does call for three pound of honey for a one gallon carboy, so you should be fine. Let us know how it goes!

I just started my first mead two days ago. :cross: Pretty much the one i'm making is like the joe's ancient orange mead as MarshmallowBlue mention, except for tweaking a few things like adding pears which hopefully doesn't back fire -__-. It does call for three pound of honey for a one gallon carboy, so you should be fine. Let us know how it goes!

I've used pears in place of oranges in JAOM a bunch of times. Comes out great!

Can i use a 5 gal carboy for 3 gal batch or does that leave too much airspace ?

For primary it's okay, but in secondary you're going ot want it in a 3 gallon carboy, or 3 one gallon ones.

What he said. I would add that this is the only time I have ever used a secondary for a JAOM... because I didnt have a small enough carboy.

There is always the option to use sanitized glass mables in the 5'er though...

So decided to start with a 1 gal batch of blueberry melomel . Limited supply of both honey and blueberries.
Have a 1 gal glass fermenter on the way for the secondary and a 2 gal plastic fermenter for the primary. Also some lavlin ec-1118 yeast and nutrient.
Or should i use the lavlin d-47 yeast ?
Question is when to introduce the blueberries , primary or secondary or both ???.
Plan on mashing the berries .
When this one leaves the primary i may start a 2nd batch of something different.

I would do the blueberries in secondary, They contain enzymes that work to inhibit yeast so it may (YMMV) make fermentation management a pain. Put them in the secondary and you'll get more flavor and aroma for your dollar

I would do the blueberries in secondary, They contain enzymes that work to inhibit yeast so it may (YMMV) make fermentation management a pain. Put them in the secondary and you'll get more flavor and aroma for your dollar

Thanks for the input.
Probably less chance of any contamination/wild yeast adding the blueberries to the secondary too from reading up on it in the complete meadmaker. Not planning on heating anything other than to warm the honey and water enough
to dissolve it .

Planning on doing a blueberry melomel in the near future as well.

I've read that d47 is very sensitive to temps and really likes to be kept under 70 to prevent fusels.

I've used 1118 and it is a beast of a yeast, but it can blow off some of the honey aromatics. Planning on using 71b for my melomel I think.

I've been thinking about doing a primary in the 2g bucket, then adding the blueberries to the bucket as well. Allow to referment, then rack to carboy to eliminate one racking. Thoughts? Or would it be better to get the mead off the primary lees earlier?

I'm not sure what "beast of a yeast" means being a newbe. Aggressive ?

Still have time to change my yeast from ec-1118 to the 71b or d47. Won't be brewing this till mid next week.

General opinions on melomel yeast ? Like to get it right the 1st time.

Yes, aggressive, highly attenuating, etc. From what I've read, I'm going with 71b. I haven't used it yet, so can't quote from personal experience, sadly.

My 1 gal batch size mead making equip arrived yesterday and we are
off and running. Primary is a 2 gal plastic fermenter and will secondary in a 1 gal glass carboy/jug.
OG came in @ 1.100 using approx 3 lbs honey to 1 gal bottled water.
1 package Lavlin D 47 yeast with 1 tsp nutrient and 1/2- 3/4 tsp energizer to kick it off.
Think i've got good temps for fermenting with the D 47 in the basement
with low 60s . :rockin:

edit: Decided to keep the 1st batch simple.
Will try some blueberry melomel when the berries start coming in fresh off the bush.

Back