1st lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperdude

Reaction score
So I am one week into my first two lagers. One is an Dunkel other is a Oktoberfest. I don't have the capacity to do liquid starters, so I went with saflager 34/70 which I only pitched one pack in each 5 gallon batch which the temp was 58 ( my temp controller is off about 6 degrees from its set temperature) after 48 hours signs of fermentation showed up. Its been a week and a half gravity in both is around 1.030. I have never used this yeast so with the high temp that was pitched should I preform a dactyl rest here in the next couple days??

The rule is once you get to 75% of expected FG, you do the 48 hour dactyl rest at room temp, followed by lagering for about 8 weeks at 34-38. What was your OG? 1.03 sounds pretty close to time for the rest.

The rule is once you get to 75% of expected FG, you do the 48 hour dactyl rest at room temp, followed by lagering for about 8 weeks at 34-38. What was your OG? 1.03 sounds pretty close to time for the rest.

I didn't take a reading, I don't like fussing with the beer much, I know I'm paying for it now. The projected og was 1.053 using brew target for 5 gallons. I have 4.5 gallons of wort so the og should have been a bit higher.

Back