1st lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarelme

Reaction score
Hello all,
I brewed my 1st lager last night, I used WLP820 yeast. This is my 1st lager, and I had the yeast in room temp for about 3 hours. I pitched the yeast when the wort was at 55 degrees. Just like the instruction said. Did I do anything wrong? Did I have to keep the yeast cold since lagers ferment at a lower temp?

Thanks for your help

Good question. I have made lagers before but never concerned too much about the exact temperature. i.e. have not lagered as such.
I would think that the temperate of the yeast prior to pitching would not be very important relative to the temperate of the wort once the yeast is added.

The reason for having the yeast at room temperature would be to stop the yeast being shocked going from frozen to room temp.

trunk dalking...

First, if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a starter, then expect a LONG lag time from when you will see active fermentation. We are speaking of a few days to get going and the low pitching count will translate into a beer that might not turn out as good as you want.

Underpitchiing will lead to stressed out yeast all all that comes from it.

There are people who say it will still make beer, and I agree with this, but it won't be as good as you could have had it.

Go to www.mrmalty.com and see how much you should have pitched into your gravity wort.

BTW keeping your wort at true lagering fermentation temps improve the chance of a better brew by keeping out unwanted esters and fussels as well as cutting down on diacetyl production.
You yeast shoud be at or below fermentation temperture of the wort before pitching to prevent shocking the yeast.

BTW keeping your wort at true lagering fermentation temps improve the chance of a better brew by keeping out unwanted esters and fussels as well as cutting down on diacetyl production.
You yeast shoud be at or below fermentation temperture of the wort before pitching to prevent shocking the yeast.

Should I lower them temp down a little? The instructions said to keep at 55 degrees for the fermentation process.

So as far as the whole pitching the yeast, it just like ales but you just ferment at a lower temp right?

Yes.

But the thing really different is that with lower temps, you really need a lot more yeast to ferment with. That vial of yeast may not do the job for you if your gravity is high.
Lower temps slow down fermentation, so your fermentation time may extend to 2 to 3 weeks vs the 1 week time frame you probably are used to. Let it finish completly before doing any racking, as you'll need the extra time on the primary yeast to finish eating the products it made while fermenting, like diacetyl.

BTW, I'm making a starter right now and am about to pitch my pack of WY 2042 into a 1030 gravity wort of a quart at room temperture to grow a bit before stepping it up to a gallon. I usually ferment my starters at fermenting temps also, but this time I need the starter by Sunday.

Back