1st lager need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I am about to make my first lager..Im using wy2124 yeast..The temp range for this yeast is 45-55*F..So just to make sure i understand the process of making a lager im gonna give the process that i think i should do and let me know if i have the right idea

First i will mash,sparge,boil like usual
cool down to 45*F
pitch large starter
ferment @45*F for 4 weeks
D.rest for 2-3 days @ 60-65*F
crash cool, rack to keg and lager @ 35-38*F for 1-2 months

Do i have the process down? Anything i am missing or doing wrong?
cheers

My recommendation would be to ferm @ 50, take gravity readings and when ferm is 2/3 done, raise to 60 until you hit FG. Then, slowly cool (< 4 degree per day temp drop, so you don't put the yeast to sleep) down to lagering temp (I like 40, keeps yeast slightly active) and lager for 1-2 mos.

My lagers doing this always came out super clean, super clear. Have 2 lagering as we speak- Dunkel Bock and Doppelbock.

You've basically got it down! I've never left a beer in primary for that long, but you can if you don't have time to deal with it sooner. I think it really helps to do the diacetyl rest (if doing) when the yeast is still active, so I'd do it about day 7-10, or when the SG is 75% of the way to FG.

I lager near freezing for a bit longer- at 34 degrees if at all possible. Lagering colder, longer, makes a smoother finish and encourages more polyphenols to drop out making a "cleaner" and "crisper" lager.

You've basically got it down! I've never left a beer in primary for that long, but you can if you don't have time to deal with it sooner. I think it really helps to do the diacetyl rest (if doing) when the yeast is still active, so I'd do it about day 7-10, or when the SG is 75% of the way to FG.

I lager near freezing for a bit longer- at 34 degrees if at all possible. Lagering colder, longer, makes a smoother finish and encourages more polyphenols to drop out making a "cleaner" and "crisper" lager.

Oh really 7-10 days in? Is there harm doing a D rest to early or too soon? Is 7-10 days a window of time?

Oh really 7-10 days in? Is there harm doing a D rest to early or too soon? Is 7-10 days a window of time?

You want to do the diacetyl rest at the tail end of fermentation, when it's 75% done. For me, that's generally about day 7.

If you do it too early, you may have some flavor impact. If you do it too late, the yeast may not be as active and may not clean up the diacetyl.

You want to do the diacetyl rest at the tail end of fermentation, when it's 75% done. For me, that's generally about day 7.

If you do it too early, you may have some flavor impact. If you do it too late, the yeast may not be as active and may not clean up the diacetyl.

Oh ok cool.. i gotcha..I will be using the hydrometer quite a bit for this batch haha..thank you

Oh ok cool.. i gotcha..I will be using the hydrometer quite a bit for this batch haha..thank you

You don't really need to test often- you can see the fermentation slowing down and being less active by about day 5 or so. By day 10, it should be finishing up. Those guesses are pretty generic, but once you see it slowing down you can do the diacetyl rest. You can take a sample, test the gravity and taste for diacetyl at that time. If it's not at 1.022 or less, then I'd wait (depending on the OG) but if it is, I'd go ahead and just do the diacetyl rest at that time.

You don't really need to test often- you can see the fermentation slowing down and being less active by about day 5 or so. By day 10, it should be finishing up. Those guesses are pretty generic, but once you see it slowing down you can do the diacetyl rest. You can take a sample, test the gravity and taste for diacetyl at that time. If it's not at 1.022 or less, then I'd wait (depending on the OG) but if it is, I'd go ahead and just do the diacetyl rest at that time.

Alright awesome thanks alot yooper...cheers

Back