1st Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Just purchased a bb kolsch kit from my lhbs, I see that it comes with notty for yeast. The hbs owner recommended upgrading to a liquid kolsch yeast(which he did not have in stock on tues when i was there). Im 99% sure im going to go there friday and get the liquid. am curious though. will there be a big difference in how it turnes out?

Probably. Kolsch yeast is a "hybrid"...it was selected over a period of years to behave like a lager yeast but at ale temperatures. Notty is a good clean ale yeast, but I'm not sure it would give kolsch its distinctive character.

I've used both dry Notty as well as a liquid Kolsch yeast (WLP029) and I like both. However, I do think you'll get two pretty different beers between them.

Well i am driving past the hbs tomorrow so i think ill just get the kolsch yeast and save the notty for another brew

Back