1st Kolsch but looking at the color I'm curious if it will clear up after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwimbody

Reaction score
Good morning fellow brewers. This is my very 1st batch. I have pulled it out of its dark dungeon after 3 weeks and am ready to bottle it for another 2 weeks. Based on the color I'm curious. It smells delicious on top of the bubbler though. Guess because this is home brewing and we are not clarifying then this is what I must expect from a kolsch I brew at home. Is that the case?

Attachments

• 20200503_102316.jpg
    20200503_102316.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 54
Guess because this is home brewing and we are not clarifying then this is what I must expect from a kolsch I brew at home. Is that the case?

Even if you don't fine it, time and gravity should clear it. I have made Kolsch (with Wyeast 2565) without fining/filtering that, when entered in comps, got comments like "brilliantly clear" and "obviously filtered." It just took some time in the keg, which is fine, because Kolsch ought to be lagered anyway.

Last edited:
Guess because this is home brewing and we are not clarifying then this is what I must expect from a kolsch I brew at home. Is that the case?
There are many ways to clarify our beer and one of them includes patience and time. Homebrew beer can be just as crystal clear as commercial beer. At 3 weeks in your fermenter, it’s not unusual for it to still be hazy. It will also appear darker than it would, compared to being in a serving glass.
Bottle it, let it condition for 2-3 weeks at room temperature, refrigerate for another week or so and see what it looks like then. When you pour from the bottle, pour gently and be sure to stop before the sediment comes out. You might also notice that each consecutive bottle might be better. There’s a saying that the last beer is the best.

Cool. Looking forward to 3 weeks from now. Cannot wait. Now on to the next batch... when the new burner arrives and my brew buddy gets his **** together and comes over here with our new 50ft copper chiller

Tested final gravity at 1.011 that puts my ABV at 5.26%. I tasted it without carbonation and it was great with a slight slight hop finish and a little bit of a sweet edge to it. I consider this an incredible 1st time success and super excited about the aging process before I chill it in 3 weeks and share with my brew buddies. And yes...when I bottled it it was golden colored. Beyond happy with what we've accomplished. It's funny how you don't think you can do this but you sure can. Thanks pathfinders!!

2565 is my house yeast and most of the brews are lagered for 4 weeks minimum. An extended pipeline helps. I primary for 3 weeks with a stepped fermentation starting at 59* and ending at 68*. I put 4.5 oz of priming sugar in a keg and let that condition for 2-3 weeks or until space opens up in the lager chamber where it stays until I need it or there is room for it. Most of the time it's in there for 4+weeks. They are always crystal clear.

I'm always amazed that the beer I pour out of the bottle is the same beer I put in the bottle. The carboy never does it justice, and time works wonders.

Back