1st home brew what you guys think? (Pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05wrangler

Reaction score
This is my brothers and I first brew, it is and IPA extract kit. We didnt use and Irish moss or a nothing to help with Clarity Obviously. What do you guys think? Any Comments welcome. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395787483.788623.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it's horrible. Ship the entire batch to me immediately and I'll dispose of it for you. For a nominal fee of course.

Seriously, welcome to the hobby and congrats on your first brew.

Thanks man! And it tastes great! We have been experimenting with Irish moss in the last few brews. This is our 3rd brew another IPA but with Irish moss addedImageUploadedByHome Brew1395788979.818860.jpg

A little bit of chill haze there. I'll keep it in my refrigerator for a few days to get rid of it for you.

Flars are you talking about the 1st pick of second pic? I know I just poured it to steer things up to see what it looked like. Yeast was on the bottom of the bottle

I'm thinking in going to try cold crashing or filtering with a filter system next. I need to do my homework idk if I will filter out to much yeast to where it won't carbonate properly since I bottle not keg.

Just use Irish moss whirlfloc and let it sit in primary a little longer to clear and cold crash, if possible, to drop most the yeast out of suspension. If you want crystal clear use gelatin finings and add to the beer 3-4 days before bottling.

Thanks alot every one! Glad to be here on the forum!

I'm thinking in going to try cold crashing or filtering with a filter system next. I need to do my homework idk if I will filter out to much yeast to where it won't carbonate properly since I bottle not keg.

My brew buddy bought a filtration system. In my opinion, it's not really worth the price. It's expensive to buy new filtration canisters and it's a pain to set up and clean.

I get clearer beer from using whirlfloc and then cold-crashing. Gelatin additions also gets you really clear beer.

This is something I too have been worrying about. My first few brews have also been a little cloudy, but still very tasty. My blonde ale looks more like a Hefe. But I've worried that if I drop too much yeast out of suspension that there won't be enough left to carbonate the beer when I bottle.

Anybody who is trying to get really clear beer who also bottles run into this problem?

This is something I too have been worrying about. My first few brews have also been a little cloudy, but still very tasty. My blonde ale looks more like a Hefe. But I've worried that if I drop too much yeast out of suspension that there won't be enough left to carbonate the beer when I bottle.

Anybody who is trying to get really clear beer who also bottles run into this problem?

There is still plenty of yeast to carbonate even if your beer has cleared. Try keeping your finished bottled beer in the fridge for 3 weeks, it will clear nicely!

Cold temps and time are all you really need to produce clear beer. Irish moss or whirfloc helps as well, as does gelatin added to the cold beer. Filtering is labor and $$$, I prefer to use gravity as it is free.

Back