1st Hefeweizen, how much wheat malt extract to crushed barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippaBitta

Reaction score
G'day Folks!

I have been given a Hefeweizen recipe and it says to use wheat malt extract along with barley malt extract.

My plan is to use some two-row which I have laying around instead of DME, I have 10kg in total. I already have my wheat malt liquid extract.

The issue which I am faced with is determining what quantity of wheat malt extract to use in conjunction with the two-row to achieve a 50/50 ratio of the barley and wheat to get that typical hefe style....

I plan on making a 45-50L batch.

This will be my third all grain brew and I look forward to the challenge.

Any information or recipe recommendations using wheat malt extract + grain would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :mug:

Briess Malting shows a Bavarian Wheat Malt Extract with the composition of the grains at 65% wheat malt and 35% barley. That gives you a basis for your composititon. I'd probably shoot for about equal weights of wheat malt extract and your two-row with the supposition that your efficiency for you mashing the two-row would be about 75%. It wouldn't likely be an exact 50% but close enough for good beer.

Back