1st ever batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KsHopHead

Reaction score
So I just finished my first batch of home brew! I chose an Unfiltered Wheat from the LHBS. It's an extract with LME. I wanted to keep it simple for my first batch so i could focus on the execution of the process (I'll work my way up to Big Brews :) ). The whole process went very smoothly (almost had a boil over, but I caught it in time). I'm very pleased with the experience as a whole, however when I took the gravity reading it was 1.02, the LHBS instructions say it should be 1.042. In an effort to try and figure out where I went wrong, I looked at the LME cans and discovered about 1 Tbsp of syrup still in the can. This was disappointing because I REALLY thought I got all of it (I even put the cans in a hot bath). So my questions are:

1. Is a Tbsp of LME enough to throw my OG off by .024, and

2. Is there anything I should do at this point?

FWIW, I have already pitched (Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend). The boil left me approx. 2 3/4 gal. The OG reading was taken after topping off to 5 1/4 gal (as per the LHBS instructions).

Thanks all, and happy hombrewing!

image-2240839861.jpg

1. No
2. No

However, as long as you used all the ingredients and followed the kit instructions you're fine. You probably didn't get a good mix between top off water and concentrated wort. Don't worry about it, you'll have a 4 percenter.

I would just be certain that you topped it off to the right volume but if you undershoot the only thing you can do is add more sugar (dme or lme).

1. No
2. No

However, as long as you used all the ingredients and followed the kit instructions you're fine. You probably didn't get a good mix between top off water and concentrated wort. Don't worry about it, you'll have a 4 percenter.[/quote

Yeah that!

Yup, the recipe called for a top off to 5 1/4 gallons. I thought is was an odd final volume also, buy that's what it called for, so that's what I did. :)

Looking good so far, vigorous airlock activity Monday night and all day Tuesday, grew a nice kraeusen, now subsiding. Gurgling in the airlock slowed to once every 10-12 secs today (6/29).

Looking good so far, vigorous airlock activity Monday night and all day Tuesday, grew a nice kraeusen, now subsiding. Gurgling in the airlock slowed to once every 10-12 secs today (6/29).

Cool deal! Now comes the hard part. Keep it cool and dark, and let it sit. Until mid-July. You're going to be tempted to get in there and get after it, but the yeasties need time to clean up their mess. Check your OG Monday and Wednesday. If they're the same - do nothing. If they're different - do nothing, but check your gravs again on Friday and Sunday. Rinse, repeat until the two readings are the same. Then do nothing. Patience is the hardest part when you are starting out, but it's imperative if you want better than average beer. Mother Nature works wonders, but she ain't in a hurry about it.

So, I've maintained a fermentation temp of 70 deg for 2 weeks. I took the first gravity reading today, it's at 1.014. The recipe states a terminal gravity of 1.008, so it's getting there! We drank the sample (of course!), and it tasted awsome! Can't wait to get it carbed and cold. SWMBO even liked it!

In my very limited experience a tsp of yeast nutrient and tsp of energizer helped my Fg's get closer to quoted numbers. But I wouldn't sweat it. These additives are just a hedge to try and ensure sugar remaining in the wort is the limiting factor. When FG finishes higher it might mean you ran out of nitrogen, etc. My first fg was ten points over "quoted" and people LOVED that beer.

JimTheHick said:
In my very limited experience a tsp of yeast nutrient and tsp of energizer helped my Fg's get closer to quoted numbers. But I wouldn't sweat it. These additives are just a hedge to try and ensure sugar remaining in the wort is the limiting factor. When FG finishes higher it might mean you ran out of nitrogen, etc. My first fg was ten points over "quoted" and people LOVED that beer.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll just let it go. It would be nice if it hit the terminal gravity, but if doesn't NBD, it'll make a GREAT session beer! Just off the small sample, we're LOVING this one.

Back