1st cider attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
My wife can't drink beer, but loves cider. I was thinking of making a blueberry apple cider for her because we have lots of last year's berries left in the freezer. Having never made cider before, I was thinking of making a small experimental batch of about 1 gal (I have a 5 litre jug to use as a primary). I intend to use 1 gal cider and add 1 can of frozen juice concentrate. After I rack to secondary, I will add the thawed berries. Conversely, I could add the berries in the primary. So, my questions are:

Is one pound per gallon enough berries? Should I use more or less?
Do I need to use two stage fermentation?
My wife likes a sweet cider. Can I use an ale yeast instead of a wine yeast?

my opinion:

no, try 2 lbs, more if you want
yes, use berries in secondary, rack again after a month, then age
yes, you can use ale yeast

if you are using a 5L fermentor, take a cup of cider out of the jug before you start, to make sure you have enough headspace (you are adding liquid as concentrate).
This will be great by Xmas.

If you are using berries, you will want a two stage fermentation. Add the berries to secondary. Note though, you will lose a lot of volume- a lot will be absorbed into the berries.

1 to 2 lbs per gallon would be fine.

I'm still working on making a good cider. As of yet, I'm still not there. Presently, I am playing with Malolactic bacteria in an attempt to produce a less bitter/acidic cider.

Ale yeast is fine. I just finished a couple batches with WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast.

Well, we decided to finish the cider today. It spent three months in bulk storage, and today we back sweetened it with 1 can of raspberry/kiwi concentrate and 1/4 cup of corn sugar. Damn... it tastes good, even as a still cider. I can't wait to see what happens when I carbonate it. I may up the raspberry flavour by adding a more fruit concentrate. I can buy some fruit syrup at a german deli here, and that's what I'll probably use. The missus sure likes it. I figure the ABV is probably between 12 and 15%, but I didn't do any tests during the brewing process. I will probably ramp this up to three gallons for next year.

Back